Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Haywood Pool Pump Tripping Breaker

1. Back To Top    #1

las vegas, NV

Haywood Pool Pump Tripping Breaker

I have a pretty old Haywood pool pump. It is at least 5 years old probably more like 8 or 9. It has been turning itself off frequently over the last couple of months. I live in Las Vegas so I thought it was getting too hot so I just put the timer for 1/2 hour on 2 or 3 hours off. Now the pump will not turn on and trips the main breaker. We changed out the breaker on the timer/filter by the pool and the GFI. That did not help. We have not changed the main breaker because if I turn the filter breaker off the lights and bubbler for the spa still work. As soon as I turn the filter breaker on, the filter/pump makes a slight noise and the main breaker trips.

My question is...could the pump be bad and that is the cause. I didn't know if it would trip the breaker that quickly Is there any quick fix to try or is it time for a new pump

Thank you.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    Fletcher, OK

Re: Haywood Pool Pump Tripping Breaker

Welcome to TFP

Sounds like your pump is going out.. can you take it to a motor company and have them test it?
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3
    SW Louisiana

I agree it sounds like you have pump motor problems. It is relatively easy to replace the pump motor usually without having to touch the plumbing. There are numerous youtube videos on the subject
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach