Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Changes in Chlrine Loss

1. Back To Top    #1

Changes in Chlrine Loss

I have been testing (probably over testing) my new pool and doubled my chlorine levels (not to full slam levels) until the overnight chlorine loss test passed; this was a recommendation -- instead of a full slam -- obtained in the forum since I was loosing exactly 1 ppm of Chlorine overnight and the water looked sparkling. The pool had not been used up to this point.

Then we started using the pool and after about a week, I decided to perform a overnight chlorine loss test and it lost 2 ppm! is this normal when actively using a pool? is the pool safe for continuous use?

During this period Chlorine hasn't drop below 3 ppm and CYA is between 20-30; I am still increasing CYA, just being careful since I don't want to overshoot.

Thanks
    10K gal, pebble tec, 2.5 HP pump, 600 sqft DE filter (Hayward DE6020), Chlorinated, Hayward Navigator
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Phoenix, AZ

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Changes in Chlrine Loss

Losing 2 ppm overnight is a sign of something brewing in the water. A quick SLAM should take care of it.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Which test kit are you using? and how are you testing?...sometimes I get to the point of trying to be so precise, I out-trick myself in seeing what is Not there

Also if you could post of full set of tests, that is very helpful
    Valley of the Sun, Arizona.....10k gunite/pebble (Re-surface March 2015) w/in floor Caretaker 99 cleaning heads -- Pentair FNS 60 DE filter -- Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed for pool -- Pentair Wisperflo 1 HP for boulder waterfall...Taylor K-2006 & Taylor K-2006C kits

4. Back To Top    #4

I have the TF-100 Test Kit and I obtained the result using the FAS/DPD Chlorine test. I will test again tonight (I probably out-trick myself sometimes as well) and if I lose more than 1 ppm will proceed with a slam.
    10K gal, pebble tec, 2.5 HP pump, 600 sqft DE filter (Hayward DE6020), Chlorinated, Hayward Navigator
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Phoenix, AZ