New gas line, heater won't work now

kwilky

May 28, 2009
I recently had some work done to my house which required the installation of a new gas line to the house and a new section of the gas line to the pool heater. Now my heater won't start. I have a Teledyne/Laars Series 1 with electronic ignition. I called my pool guy and he thought it was because there was air in the gas line to the heater and I need to bleed the line. As it has electronic ignition, I am unsure on how to bleed the line. Any advice on this?

Thanks,
Kevin

Remove the front cover -

Does yours have a knob "Off/Pilot/On"?

Hold it down, turn it to On, till you either hear or smell the gas. Release the button, and allow any gas smell to dissapate, then you'll have to lite the pilot again, if the elec ignition won't work (mine didn't this spring) can can carefully use one of those long-clicker-lighter things to CAREFULLY lite the flame manually. Mine knob had to be depressed in the "on" position for the ignition, once the pilot was lit, I released the knob and it stayed lit.

Hope this helps.

With electronic ignition there's no pilot setting on the valve to bleed it. There should be a union between the valve and the heater that you can disconnect, then open the valve until you get gas, but frankly I think it should be done by whoever replaced the line. Tell them it's an electronic ignition and they'll probably prefer to just come out and take 10 seconds to help you rather than potentially being liable for you fiddling with the gas line.

Hmmm. If you've got a spark ignitor rather than a hot surface ignitor I guess there is still a 'pilot', but some electronic ignition heaters will have valves that have a pilot setting with no pilot tube coming from the valve. It's just plugged.

I think the Series 1 does in fact have a pilot tube so listen to FPM first. :-D

This is very simple....

There should be a 3/4" galvi hard pipe going into the pool heater. Follow that pipe out, and there should be a union than a 1/4 turn shutoff valve. Turn off power to the heater. Turn off the gas valve. Get two wrenches (pipe / monkey) and take apart the unit's threaded hub. Turn gas back on. Gas should escape that union in about the same time it takes to walk from the meter to the pool heater.

It still make take some time for the ignition system to actually fire, depending on how much air got into the line, but should work after too long.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.