NFG trying to figure it out

Jul 11, 2016
Hatfield
I just got my test kit.

I am reading FC .6
CC 5.8
Ph 7.4
CYA over 100

Does this make any sense? Any tips to get moving in the right direction? Feeling overwhelmed

Previous owners told my to replace pucks often. and use non chlorinated shock often. Learning I should probably not be doing this. Bout to hear to Wallyworld for bleach.

Thanks for any tips, sorry for being such a newb.

Which test kit did you get?

How does the water look?

Where is Hatfield?

How hard would it be for you to drain and refill some of your water??

What kind of pool surface and equipment do you have?

Non-chlorine shock (aka MPS) will show up as CCs in testing, which is not accurate.

Your FC is entirely too low if in fact your CYA is 100 or more. Need more information on this.... such as performing a dilution test for the CYA to see how much over 100 it may be?

Thanks for the reply.

I'm in Pennsylvania.

I have the Taylor K-2006

Vinyl lines, sorry, I thought I set up a signature.

Water is clear, Algae shows every few days though.

I can drain to a sewer grate and refill via hose pretty easy.

So I decided to do a partial drain. 20,000 gallon pool, drained down to maybe 20 inches in shallow end. Filled up with water, tested again....
CYA is still over 100. I guess I have to drain again, huh.

Sucks. Its takes so long to do this, we just want to swim!

Ouch, yeah.... it's a shame but with CYA that high its near impossible to keep the water algae free. After you refill again, run a full set of tests and tell us:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

....and no more Non-Chlorine Shock please! Stick with the liquid chlorine. Hang on to the pucks for times that they *can* be used such as vacations, as long as you're aware of the CYA they will add.

Have you read this yet? --> ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

- - - Updated - - -

Ouch, yeah.... it's a shame but with CYA that high its near impossible to keep the water algae free. After you refill again, run a full set of tests and tell us:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

....and no more Non-Chlorine Shock please! Stick with the liquid chlorine. Hang on to the pucks for times that they *can* be used such as vacations, as long as you're aware of the CYA they will add.

Have you read this yet? --> ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.