Gonzales, LA
My latest test results below:

pH = 7.5
FC = 14
CC = 0.5
CH = 75
TA = 120
CYA = 100

When I've performed the daily test the last few days, the Cl hasn't even registered, it is orange which I'm assuming is well above 5 ppm. So, I guess my big question is, is it safe to swim or is the chlorine level too high?

Some additional info:

• I shocked the pool on Monday. Since then we have been getting rain and not much sun.
  • I've been trying to do partial drains and adding new water periodically throughout the week

Suggestions? Thanks in advance!

HI there

I think you should consider doing a diluted test on your CYA so you can be sure of the 100 reading. It may be much higher. That is the important number to know where your chlorine needs to be. 100 is difficult to manage without draining to get that down, but it could be higher even. See link below for extended directions

Pool School - CYA

And have you taken a look at the basics here. Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

HI there

I think you should consider doing a diluted test on your CYA so you can be sure of the 100 reading. It may be much higher. That is the important number to know where your chlorine needs to be. 100 is difficult to manage without draining to get that down, but it could be higher even. See link below for extended directions

Pool School - CYA

And have you taken a look at the basics here. Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Thank you for the reply! I have looked at both of those but am a newbie to pool maintenance so still in the learning stage.

I performed the diluted test with the CYA coming back as 160. What do you suggest?

In regard to is it safe. If your CYA is 160, 14 is safe but probably not high enough to keep the bad stuff away or from grow. The chart below goes up to 120 CYA with a target of 13.6.

What you really need to be doing is draining a bunch of water and get it down to recommended CYA levels.

You probably understand that using the tablets will cause your CYA to constantly increase. If you drain and refill, and continue to use tablets, you'll be draining and refilling again in the future. We recommend using liquid chlorine (from pool store or regular concentrated bleach from the grocery store). If you do that, then CYA will not increase.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, 3" chlorinated tablets. I've had the feeder set to 1.5 practically the whole week but turned it off yesterday after doing the daily test when it seemed like the chlorine level just wasn't going down the past few days.

See the links posted on chlorine/cya and ABC's for a refresher? If your cya is that high, your chlorine needs to be that high (or higher) Those pucks are constantly adding more CYA too.

I thought I saw in another thread that you are using the TF-100 kit, if so it helps if you put that in your signature. If that's the kit you have, you need to be testing your chlorine with the FAS-DPD test for accuracy at higher chlorine levels.

- - - Updated - - -

With regards to draining, are we talking about a complete drain or partial one? I thought I've read that draining the pool completely is a bad idea/dangerous? If it's a partial drain, how low is safe to go?

Several partial drains and refills may be the rout you need to tak as it indeed can be a risk to drain too much out.

Have you used pool math yet? The link is at the top of the web page. You can plug in your "now" numbers and your target number for chemical addition amounts as well as drain suggestion. But at 120 CYA an exchange of 50% of your water would put your CYA at 60 which is still on the high side but more manageable than what you have to work with now.

See the links posted on chlorine/cya and ABC's for a refresher? If your cya is that high, your chlorine needs to be that high (or higher) Those pucks are constantly adding more CYA too.

I thought I saw in another thread that you are using the TF-100 kit, if so it helps if you put that in your signature. If that's the kit you have, you need to be testing your chlorine with the FAS-DPD test for accuracy at higher chlorine levels.

Yes, I am using the TF-100 test kit. Thank you for the suggestion. I just added it to my signature. Is the FAS-DPD test a separate kit I need to purchase?

- - - Updated - - -

Several partial drains and refills may be the rout you need to tak as it indeed can be a risk to drain too much out.

Have you used pool math yet? The link is at the top of the web page. You can plug in your "now" numbers and your target number for chemical addition amounts as well as drain suggestion. But at 120 CYA an exchange of 50% of your water would put your CYA at 60 which is still on the high side but more manageable than what you have to work with now.

I have attempted to use pool math. Still trying to grasp everything being a complete rookie. It's a big overwhelming but I'm learning more and more every day. LOL

I must have missed the drain section but I will go back and check. Thanks so much again!

The fas-dpd chlorine test uses the r-0870 powder and the r-0871 reagent. Instructions should be in the kit.

We were all rookies once. I know I was. So don't sweat it. You'll always get help here on the forum.

Pool math should tell you a reccomended amount to drain if you put your current cya in the now section and your target in. But we can safely say at least 50% is a good target for now.

The fas-dpd chlorine test uses the r-0870 powder and the r-0871 reagent. Instructions should be in the kit.

We were all rookies once. I know I was. So don't sweat it. You'll always get help here on the forum.

Pool math should tell you a reccomended amount to drain if you put your current cya in the now section and your target in. But we can safely say at least 50% is a good target for now.

Ah, ok. Then yes, that's the test I performed to arrive at the FC and CC values. Just didn't realize it was called FAS-DPD.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.