Replacing pump, and questions about wiring.

PaulG2

Jul 16, 2016
Palm Bay Florida
Hello

I have recently purchased a new pump and am trying to get it wired correctly!

My older pumps motor was a marathon 1hp motor. When I removed the whole pump and began to look at the wiring it looked like this

20160715_131738.jpg

The wire looks like it is white, but there was actually red color to the insulation. And although it is hard to see in the picture in the lower right hand corner there was a switch that seemed to be a voltage select which was selected to low.

My new pump is a speck easy fit. It came set up with 230 volt. I thought my previous pump was a 230v so I wired the new pump with the white/red wire to L1 and the black to L2.

With the pump wired this way it is running, but I feel as if something is not right.

So I tried to check the voltage from the wire from the timer to the pump and it appears to read 115v.

So am I supposed to rewire the new pump to the 115v and flip the switch like the image shows..
20160716_122608.jpg

And if I am then which wire is the neutral? Would that be the white/red wire and then black positive. Which means I would have to move black to L1 and the other wire to L2 right?

If you're wondering here is the crazy wiring in the timer box with the red,black and green wires running to the motor on the right.
20160716_124935.jpg

any help would be appreciated!

First lets make sure that the power IS 120 volts. Is the breaker that feeds the pump a single breaker or a double breaker?

If it's a single breaker, then it's 120 volts. If it's a double breaker then it's 240 volts.

Also, which conduit is the power entrance from the breaker box? It looks like the bottom left one if you turned the picture upright.

thanks for your reply!

I went to check out my breaker( which I thought was two) for the pool. But it turns out it is just one.

breaker.jpg

As far as which conduit is the power from the breaker box, I'm not sure. With the image below I would guess it comes up from the ground to the first box then goes to the timer. Meaning its coming in from the left.

power.jpg

After looking at these two things, I am really thinking its only the 115v. SO that then makes me question which wire would go where on the wiring diagram. Do I flip my wires and then turn the motor to 115 or do I leave the wires the same as they are and just flip the switch since the wiring matches the previous motor when they had their voltage set to low?

If color coding is correct you have a neutral (white) and single power wire making it likely its a 110 system. did you trace back the white wire to see if it's landed on the neutral bus? If so, that would confirm it and can't confirm which wire should be set to neutral.

also dont forget to attach the bonding lug to the back of the pump case.

currently to the pump is a red wire..... a black wire..... and the green.

when i follow the red wire from the pump it goes to the timer box. In my 3rd picture in my first post, this red wire ends up being the red wire that is the 3rd screw with the red plastic coating coming off the wire. Would this wire then be the neutral?

Thanks everyone, I think I got it now.

Since Bama Rambler told me check the breaker I did! When I took off the cover what I thought was a double breaker was really only a single. So with that and rossterman telling me to follow my wires I did.

I went back to the pump and switched the pump to 115. wired the red wire to the L2 and the black to the L1.

Turned the pump on and its working great! I also noticed my pump filter psi went to 10 where previously it was a t 0.

So i take it that I had my motor on 230v but was only giving it 115v.
thank you everyone for the help.

You got it correct. I was about to post that the wire with the red covering was neutral and the black was hot. But you already figured that out.

The wiring in that timer is very hard to follow. Mostly because those wires that are in the way, preventing you from following the wiring from in to out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.