$bleach~tabs$

Nov 3, 2015
Frederick md
Best deal on bleach at my local weis is 2.20$ for 12.5% i bought 8 gallons. Asuming bleach is about 8lbs a gal. Looks like 2.20 a lbs.

I have a chloranter, and amazon prime. I see 50lbs of 98% chlorine for 94$ thats around 2$ a lbs.

I am nervous about tabs having too much cya but, some cheep amazon tabs i doubt have much if any.

What i am currently thinking is to matain with tabs and shock with bleach. Any one see a down side to running cheep tabs insted of bleach?

You must live near me... I am in Adamstown.

don't do the tabs. all you need is bleach... test it once a day and add what you need.

Not sure what your test numbers are though...

Guess I need to find this Weis you speak of...

Any solid form of chlorine, be it tabs, powder or granules add something to you pool water that you don't want or need. With tabs it's CYA, most powder forms it's calcium. Using tabs will lead to a buildup of CYA and an over stabilized situation where you will need to maintain higher and higher chlorine levels, until it is unmanageable and you are forced to drain the pool to regain control. This is the reason TFP doesn't recommend tabs for chlorination.

I strongly recommend that you go to Pool School (it's the button at the upper right corner of this page), do some reading. It may seem a bit confusing at first, but with some study it all begins to make sense.

Thats cool i almost bought a house on plesent view rd. Ended up between Ijamsvill and frederick.

The weis in spring ridge off 144 has a pool aisle. "Austins pool tech shock" is what its called. Weis bleach is less then 2$ but its 5%.

May be. Worth it for you to try the weis on the golden mile first befor coming all the way up here.

I am nervous about tabs having too much cya but, some cheep amazon tabs i doubt have much if any.
Tabs are made of trichlor. Cheap ones, expensive ones, ones that come individually wrapped, ones that come in giant buckets. Trichlor is a compound made of chlorine bound to CYA. There is no such thing as "low CYA" tablets unless they are also "low chlorine" tablets. For every 10 ppm FC added by trichlor, 6 ppm of CYA is also added. This is a constant, it does not change.

I don't understand why you are comparing weight, that has nothing to do with it. 1 gallons of 12.5% chlorine will add to 10,000 gallons 12.5 ppm FC and some salt. 1 lb of trichlor will add to 10,000 gallons 11 ppm FC, 6.7 ppm CYA and some salt. No real difference in price per FC added. Trichlor is also quite acidic so you will need to purchase soda ash to keep the pH and TA from dipping too low, extra cost to tablets. You will also need to change the water when your CYA rises too far, more extra cost to tablets.

Thanks that anwsers that. Bleach it is. Just using 25lbs of tabs has my cya is at 50. If i finshed the seson id be over 100. My lbs:cost was just that but you
Mostly riped that apart.

Bleach it is.

Now back to vacuming. (guests tonight) btw hand vacuming is fun! I vacuumed a few days ago, and its hot so i want to swimm. Goggles and an oppen hose swimming around like a gost buster is fun... Lol

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.