Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Green Algae, HELP!

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Clark, NJ
    Posts
    9

    Green Algae, HELP!

    We have a 14' x 48" Intex round pool. We set it up this year for the very first time, we ended up getting an Algae bloom after our FC dropped to nil. To add insult to injury, someone added double the recommended CYA stabilizer. We have shocked 5 days in a row and performed a 25% water change. We are now executing a 50% water change and will be adding Leslie's Pool Clear enzymatic clearer.

    Anyone have any advice for me? The water changes should drop out CYA levels back towards acceptable and will allow the chlorine to do its job. The Intex filters suck.... Any advice on a reasonable filter/pump upgrade on a $200 pool?


    Mike
    Mike

    14' Round x 42" (filled to 36 ") Intex vinyl
    Intex 2800 GPH Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pool Pump and Saltwater System
    Taylor K-2006C & AquaCheck 7 test strips

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad tim5055's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    8,494

    Re: Green Algae, HELP!

    Quote Originally Posted by ResQDiver View Post
    We have a 14' x 48" Intex round pool. We set it up this year for the very first time, we ended up getting an Algae bloom after our FC dropped to nil. To add insult to injury, someone added double the recommended CYA stabilizer. We have shocked 5 days in a row and performed a 25% water change. We are now executing a 50% water change and will be adding Leslie's Pool Clear enzymatic clearer.

    Anyone have any advice for me? The water changes should drop out CYA levels back towards acceptable and will allow the chlorine to do its job. The Intex filters suck.... Any advice on a reasonable filter/pump upgrade on a $200 pool?


    Mike, RN
    First, don't bother with the Leslie's Pool Clear enzymatic clearer. You are right at the edge of a Seasonal/Temporary Pool, so you can follow one of the following guides:

    Pool School - Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools

    OR

    Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

  3. Back To Top    #3
    LFrankow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Medicine Hat, Alberta
    Posts
    502

    Re: Green Algae, HELP!

    Drain scrub and refill your Intex filter cannot do the job they even admit it.

    I myself got tired of buying Intex filters a few years back and went with a 1 hp pump/sand filter combo, works great.
    Lou - 13.5K Gal pool, AG Intex 24 X 52"
    19" Sand Filter/1 hp pump, Aqua Trol SWG
    90 sq ft Homemade Solar panels + 80 sq ft Fafco panels, coupled with a SS heat exchanger/Hot Water Tank, Pentair SolarTouch, Taylor k-2006

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Clark, NJ
    Posts
    9

    Re: Green Algae, HELP!

    I've slammed 5 days in a row. It's still green and a film is forming on top now when I skim.


    Mike
    Mike

    14' Round x 42" (filled to 36 ") Intex vinyl
    Intex 2800 GPH Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pool Pump and Saltwater System
    Taylor K-2006C & AquaCheck 7 test strips

  5. Back To Top    #5

    TFP Guide

    AimeeH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Columbia SC
    Posts
    1,837

    Re: Green Algae, HELP!

    By SLAM.......we mean it to be a process. Not one or just doses of a chemical.

    Shock
    Level
    And
    Maintain

    You need to bring your chlorine level up to shock level for your CYA and keep it there until you pass all three tests. You want to re-dose chlorine as often as reasonably possible to keep it at shock level. See link for refresher.

    Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

    And welcome to TFP
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

  6. Back To Top    #6


    TFP Guide

    domct203's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    3,373

    Re: Green Algae, HELP!

    Quote Originally Posted by ResQDiver View Post
    I've slammed 5 days in a row. It's still green and a film is forming on top now when I skim.


    Mike, RN
    Did you add that Leslie's potion?

    How are you testing this pool? A SLAM is not 'guessing' where your levels are. Your pool is big enough to justify a proper test kit.

    I actually like my Intex sand filter. It keeps the (clear) water clean & has enough power to vacuum & run a few solar panels.

    With that said, the replacement will be much larger so I don't have to backwash as often.

    Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

  7. Back To Top    #7

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Clark, NJ
    Posts
    9

    Re: Green Algae, HELP!

    We didn't add it yet... Our current test kit goes to 5 ppm of FC, it was measured as a 7.7 on a better kit. My kit is coming to allow me to measure up tom10 ppm. I'm SLAMming with enough shock to treat 4 times the size of our pool due to the high CYA levels. We are draining it 50% and gonna slam once again.


    Mike
    Mike

    14' Round x 42" (filled to 36 ") Intex vinyl
    Intex 2800 GPH Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pool Pump and Saltwater System
    Taylor K-2006C & AquaCheck 7 test strips

  8. Back To Top    #8


    TFP Guide

    domct203's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    3,373

    Re: Green Algae, HELP!

    Quote Originally Posted by ResQDiver View Post
    W didn't add it yet... Our current test kit goes to 5 ppm of FC, it was measured as a 7.7 on a better kit. My kit is coming to allow me to measure up tom10 ppm. I'm SLAMming with enough shock to treat 4 times the size of our pool due to the high CYA levels. We are draining it 50% and gonna slam once again.


    Mike, RN
    You really should have gotten a FAS/DPD chlorine test, that will very accurately measure FC up to 50ppm, and does not rely on color matching.

    Pool School - Test Kits Compared

    A test that only goes up to 10ppm will not measure high enough for SLAM levels (the min recommended CYA of 30ppm requires a shock FC of 12ppm), or the maintenance FC for CYA above 80ppm.

    What test kit did you get? I'm guessing it is a DPD test if it goes to 10ppm FC. A DPD FC test will not be accurate enough for the OCLT either, which is required for completing a SLAM.

    Does your new kit check all of the following?:
    FC
    CC
    pH
    TA
    CH
    CYA

    Dom
    Last edited by domct203; 07-17-2016 at 06:05 AM. Reason: Additional info
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

  9. Back To Top    #9

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Clark, NJ
    Posts
    9

    Re: Green Algae, HELP!

    Quote Originally Posted by domct203 View Post
    You really should have gotten a FAS/DPD chlorine test, that will very accurately measure FC up to 50ppm, and does not rely on color matching.

    Pool School - Test Kits Compared

    A test that only goes up to 10ppm will not measure high enough for SLAM levels (the min recommended CYA of 30ppm requires a shock FC of 12ppm), or the maintenance FC for CYA above 80ppm.

    What test kit did you get? I'm guessing it is a DPD test if it goes to 10ppm FC. A DPD FC test will not be accurate enough for the OCLT either, which is required for completing a SLAM.

    Does your new kit check all of the following?:
    FC
    CC
    pH
    TA
    CH
    CYA

    Dom
    Yes, I didn't participate in the selection of the crappy kit. The new one was recommended here! It's a Taylor.


    Mike, RN
    Mike

    14' Round x 42" (filled to 36 ") Intex vinyl
    Intex 2800 GPH Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pool Pump and Saltwater System
    Taylor K-2006C & AquaCheck 7 test strips

  10. Back To Top    #10


    TFP Guide

    domct203's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    3,373

    Re: Green Algae, HELP!

    Quote Originally Posted by ResQDiver View Post
    Yes, I didn't participate in the selection of the crappy kit. The new one was recommended here! It's a Taylor.


    Mike, RN
    The only Taylor kit we recommend is the K2006, which is a FAS/DPD test that will measure up to 50ppm.

    I don't understand your "crappy kit" comment.

    Taylor makes a lot of test kits, which one do you have? Is it the K2005?

    Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

  11. Back To Top    #11

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Clark, NJ
    Posts
    9

    Re: Green Algae, HELP!

    Quote Originally Posted by domct203 View Post
    The only Taylor kit we recommend is the K2006, which is a FAS/DPD test that will measure up to 50ppm.

    I don't understand your "crappy kit" comment.

    Taylor makes a lot of test kits, which one do you have? Is it the K2005?

    Dom
    I just found out the truth, my mother-in-law has been mismanaging the pool. She bought a cheap tester kit from Amazon that only measures pH, FC (to 5), and acid/base demand. I ordered a Taylor K-2006 Kit and am awaiting delivery.
    The pool store last measured our CYA at 116. She let the chlorine drop off to nil, then added double the CYA and wonders why chlorine isn't getting rid of the algae. I just found out she is randomly adding other chemicals that she "thinks" will help as opposed to actual science.

    we are proceeding to do a 100% water change being its a small pool at 4000 gallons, after which I will be the only one managing the pool. Does anyone have any reboot recommendations for getting his pool stable with fresh water? I'm reading household bleach is best for a chlorine source. Which is the best CYA product there. All suggestions welcome.

    Mike
    Mike

    14' Round x 42" (filled to 36 ") Intex vinyl
    Intex 2800 GPH Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pool Pump and Saltwater System
    Taylor K-2006C & AquaCheck 7 test strips

  12. Back To Top    #12
    Mod Squad tim5055's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    8,494

    Re: Green Algae, HELP!

    Quote Originally Posted by ResQDiver View Post
    I just found out the truth, my mother-in-law has been mismanaging the pool. She bought a cheap tester kit from Amazon that only measures pH, FC (to 5), and acid/base demand. I ordered a Taylor K-2006 Kit and am awaiting delivery.
    The pool store last measured our CYA at 116. She let the chlorine drop off to nil, then added double the CYA and wonders why chlorine isn't getting rid of the algae. I just found out she is randomly adding other chemicals that she "thinks" will help as opposed to actual science.

    we are proceeding to do a 100% water change being its a small pool at 4000 gallons, after which I will be the only one managing the pool. Does anyone have any reboot recommendations for getting his pool stable with fresh water? I'm reading household bleach is best for a chlorine source. Which is the best CYA product there. All suggestions welcome.

    Mike
    Mike,

    Just like chlorine is chlorine, CYA is CYA. As long as the label give a % above 90% it's fine to buy. Most of us get it at any big box store (WalMart, Lowes or Home Depot) in he seasonal pool care section.

    Even with a full drain/refill you will need to SLAM the pool once full again. You may have algae hiding in the pump, filter, pipes or other nooks & crannies of the pool.

    So day one of refill -
    Assuming you have already cleaned filter, turn pump on - run 24/7
    Add chlorine to shock level figuring CYA "0"
    Put CYA to get to 30 in a sock and suspend in the water in front of a return
    Adjust pH to 7.2
    Brush entire pool

    Day 2 and forward -
    Assume CYA is 30 and adjust chlorine to new shock level
    Brush pool
    Repeat testing and adjusting FC to shock level as often as possible during the day

    After sunset day 2
    Adjust chlorine to shock level
    Wait 30 minutes and take FC reading

    Before sunrise Day 3
    Take FC reading - how much did you lose overnight?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

  13. Back To Top    #13

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Clark, NJ
    Posts
    9

    Re: Green Algae, HELP!

    Awesome thanks!! I'll post back once I'm full and up and running!
    Mike

    14' Round x 42" (filled to 36 ") Intex vinyl
    Intex 2800 GPH Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pool Pump and Saltwater System
    Taylor K-2006C & AquaCheck 7 test strips

  14. Back To Top    #14

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Clark, NJ
    Posts
    9

    Re: Green Algae, HELP!

    Ok, pool is full. CYA up to 25, FC 4, CC 0, pH 7.5. Have some tri tabs left over, do I use them or stick with bleach?


    Mike, RN
    Mike

    14' Round x 42" (filled to 36 ") Intex vinyl
    Intex 2800 GPH Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pool Pump and Saltwater System
    Taylor K-2006C & AquaCheck 7 test strips

  15. Back To Top    #15
    Mod Squad pooldv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    23,994

    Re: Green Algae, HELP!

    Save the pucks for a vacation or another time when you are trying to raise your CYA.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

  16. Back To Top    #16

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Clark, NJ
    Posts
    9

    Re: Green Algae, HELP!

    How much will the pucks raise my CYA?


    Mike, RN
    Mike

    14' Round x 42" (filled to 36 ") Intex vinyl
    Intex 2800 GPH Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pool Pump and Saltwater System
    Taylor K-2006C & AquaCheck 7 test strips

  17. Back To Top    #17
    Mod Squad pooldv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    23,994

    Re: Green Algae, HELP!

    At the bottom of PoolMath is a section called Effects of Adding Chems. Enter the puck wt, and type, usually trichlor. With gallons entered at the top. It will tell you how much FC and CYA it will add to your pool.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •