Pool store JERK!

Sep 12, 2013
Montgomery,Al
Hubby and I are going on vaca for a few days next week. I sent him to the pool store to pick up a small bucket of tabs. (Got cya down to 40 so it wouldn't get too high with the tabs). My little 85 yr old mom will be taking care of the pool and I need to make it as easy as possible for her.

I warned him not to buy anything else and don't mention bleach. Sure enough, the guy asked him why he was buying such a small bucket. Hubs responded, my wife takes care of the pool and uses liquid chlorine. Guy went on a rant saying they do NOT recommend liquid chlorine and how much more expensive it is and how hard it is on your equipment, etc etc. not knowing a thing about our pool, poor hubby didn't know what to say but got his feathers ruffled, so replied.....ummm, my wife is a chemist. Lol. No I'm not but it shut the jerk up. Husband did say as he walked out the guy was shaking his head.

Crazy!! What business is it of his? Think I'll send hubby back with MY results of:

FC 5
CC 0
PH 7.3
TA 75
CH 75
CYA 40

And...crystal clear water!

Pool guy's math is bad too. To raise a pool your size from 0-3 FC (3 being the bottom of your FC range as per TFP and the top of the range as per conventional pool store advice) it would take 3 quarts, 1 cup of 10% liquid chlorine. If you get the gallon of 10% at Walmart for 3.64 you can raise FC to 3 and still have 3 cups left over. It would take 1.5lbs of dichlor to raise FC from 0 to 3ppm. According to leslie's site a 1 lb bag is 4.99 and you would need 1.5 bags, so for approximately $7.48 (slightly more than twice the price) you get the same amount of chlorination and the bonus of 3ppm of CYA. It would almost be fun to go into the pool store and pull up a bag of dichlor and a gallon of chlorine and ask them how that math works out.

The store will tell you FC is too high, TA and CH is too low. ;)

Yep before I discovered TFP years ago same JERK had me adding like 50 lbs of calcium up, Ph up, powered chlorine that faded my liner, Algaecides that contributed to a metals problem I'm still dealing w, hence the lower ph/TA that has stayed the same for 3 months. That summer cost me $600

- - - Updated - - -

HORRIBLE NUMBERS!..........(for the pool store to deal with!)
He'd be SHOCKED.....no pun intended...well maybe

- - - Updated - - -

Have hubby shop at Wal-Mart next time. Much easier and could even be chaeper.

"My wife is a chemist." cute and shut him up.

Kim:cat:

Told him go to Walmart......hardheaded...Pool store is right on his way home......

- - - Updated - - -

Pool guy's math is bad too. To raise a pool your size from 0-3 FC (3 being the bottom of your FC range as per TFP and the top of the range as per conventional pool store advice) it would take 3 quarts, 1 cup of 10% liquid chlorine. If you get the gallon of 10% at Walmart for 3.64 you can raise FC to 3 and still have 3 cups left over. It would take 1.5lbs of dichlor to raise FC from 0 to 3ppm. According to leslie's site a 1 lb bag is 4.99 and you would need 1.5 bags, so for approximately $7.48 (slightly more than twice the price) you get the same amount of chlorination and the bonus of 3ppm of CYA. It would almost be fun to go into the pool store and pull up a bag of dichlor and a gallon of chlorine and ask them how that math works out.

Love it Zea....I'm gonna copy and save that for the next time I'm ever (if ever) in there!

You should send the hubby up there and ask to buy something like a silver plated catalyser rod. When they ask what it is tell them you invented a machine that generates Chlorine from corn and it has no moving parts. Tell him you need the rod for the oxidizing unit, it keeps the corn from popping and gives the color a deep dark blue hue. All of it's a bunch of garbage talk, of course, but it should really make them wonder what you are doing to your pool.

On a lighter note, I had a snarky lady at Walmart ask me "what on earth are you going to do with all that bleach?" I told her I was making methamphetamine and asked directions to the pharmacy for sudafed. She did not find it as funny as I did.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You should send the hubby up there and ask to buy something like a silver plated catalyser rod. When they ask what it is tell them you invented a machine that generates Chlorine from corn and it has no moving parts. Tell him you need the rod for the oxidizing unit, it keeps the corn from popping and gives the color a deep dark blue hue. All of it's a bunch of garbage talk, of course, but it should really make them wonder what you are doing to your pool.

On a lighter note, I had a snarky lady at Walmart ask me "what on earth are you going to do with all that bleach?" I told her I was making methamphetamine and asked directions to the pharmacy for sudafed. She did not find it as funny as I did.

Y'all are killing me.....:D:D:D. I always want to tell them I'm cleaning up a crime scene but I'm afraid they'll take me serious and call the cops

Y'all are killing me.....:D:D:D. I always want to tell them I'm cleaning up a crime scene but I'm afraid they'll take me serious and call the cops

LOL.. i did have two walmart workers ask me why i was buying 12 gallons of bleach.. I told tell them to clean up ALOT of blood! They both had the thousand yard stare and said huh!!! Few seconds later i tried to explain to them for pool use.. They still did not understand lol..

Some one beat you to the punch they labeled it "liquid pool shock" but at 3.99 a gallon for 12.5% it's not that bad a deal. I think there is a lightning bolt on the label and everything.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.