Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool store JERK!

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool store JERK!

Hubby and I are going on vaca for a few days next week. I sent him to the pool store to pick up a small bucket of tabs. (Got cya down to 40 so it wouldn't get too high with the tabs). My little 85 yr old mom will be taking care of the pool and I need to make it as easy as possible for her.

I warned him not to buy anything else and don't mention bleach. Sure enough, the guy asked him why he was buying such a small bucket. Hubs responded, my wife takes care of the pool and uses liquid chlorine. Guy went on a rant saying they do NOT recommend liquid chlorine and how much more expensive it is and how hard it is on your equipment, etc etc. not knowing a thing about our pool, poor hubby didn't know what to say but got his feathers ruffled, so replied.....ummm, my wife is a chemist. Lol. No I'm not but it shut the jerk up. Husband did say as he walked out the guy was shaking his head.

Crazy!! What business is it of his? Think I'll send hubby back with MY results of:

FC 5
    CC 0
    PH 7.3
    TA 75
    CH 75
    CYA 40

And...crystal clear water!
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool store JERK!

The store will tell you FC is too high, TA and CH is too low.
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

3. Back To Top    #3

HORRIBLE NUMBERS!..........(for the pool store to deal with!)
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Have hubby shop at Wal-Mart next time. Much easier and could even be chaeper.

"My wife is a chemist." cute and shut him up.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Pool guy's math is bad too. To raise a pool your size from 0-3 FC (3 being the bottom of your FC range as per TFP and the top of the range as per conventional pool store advice) it would take 3 quarts, 1 cup of 10% liquid chlorine. If you get the gallon of 10% at Walmart for 3.64 you can raise FC to 3 and still have 3 cups left over. It would take 1.5lbs of dichlor to raise FC from 0 to 3ppm. According to leslie's site a 1 lb bag is 4.99 and you would need 1.5 bags, so for approximately $7.48 (slightly more than twice the price) you get the same amount of chlorination and the bonus of 3ppm of CYA. It would almost be fun to go into the pool store and pull up a bag of dichlor and a gallon of chlorine and ask them how that math works out.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post
    The store will tell you FC is too high, TA and CH is too low.
    Yep before I discovered TFP years ago same JERK had me adding like 50 lbs of calcium up, Ph up, powered chlorine that faded my liner, Algaecides that contributed to a metals problem I'm still dealing w, hence the lower ph/TA that has stayed the same for 3 months. That summer cost me $600

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    HORRIBLE NUMBERS!..........(for the pool store to deal with!)
    He'd be SHOCKED.....no pun intended...well maybe

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    Have hubby shop at Wal-Mart next time. Much easier and could even be chaeper.

"My wife is a chemist." cute and shut him up.

Kim
    Told him go to Walmart......hardheaded...Pool store is right on his way home......

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zea3 View Post
    Pool guy's math is bad too. To raise a pool your size from 0-3 FC (3 being the bottom of your FC range as per TFP and the top of the range as per conventional pool store advice) it would take 3 quarts, 1 cup of 10% liquid chlorine. If you get the gallon of 10% at Walmart for 3.64 you can raise FC to 3 and still have 3 cups left over. It would take 1.5lbs of dichlor to raise FC from 0 to 3ppm. According to leslie's site a 1 lb bag is 4.99 and you would need 1.5 bags, so for approximately $7.48 (slightly more than twice the price) you get the same amount of chlorination and the bonus of 3ppm of CYA. It would almost be fun to go into the pool store and pull up a bag of dichlor and a gallon of chlorine and ask them how that math works out.
    Love it Zea....I'm gonna copy and save that for the next time I'm ever (if ever) in there!
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

7. Back To Top    #7

Or try to scare you with phosphates....yada, yada, yada, Pool store bad....... bleach good.... LOL
    13,995 gallons 24 X 52 / above ground pool.../.SWG/ sand filter/ vinyl liner

8. Back To Top    #8

You should send the hubby up there and ask to buy something like a silver plated catalyser rod. When they ask what it is tell them you invented a machine that generates Chlorine from corn and it has no moving parts. Tell him you need the rod for the oxidizing unit, it keeps the corn from popping and gives the color a deep dark blue hue. All of it's a bunch of garbage talk, of course, but it should really make them wonder what you are doing to your pool.

On a lighter note, I had a snarky lady at Walmart ask me "what on earth are you going to do with all that bleach?" I told her I was making methamphetamine and asked directions to the pharmacy for sudafed. She did not find it as funny as I did.
    18x34 Doughboy AGP 22300K Gallons - Build Thread
    Aquaview 24" Sand Filter - 1.5 HP Powerline Pump - Barracuda Ranger - Taylor K-2006 - BBB
    Pool School and Pool Calculator

9. Back To Top    #9

LOL Glock did you get a "hufp" from her? Well bless her little heart

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Glock I'd have told her I had some really bad underwear stains and does she think this would be enough to make them white again? Ewwww!
    AGP: Esther Williams 15' x 30' - 10,500 gal city water filled, S210S Hayward sand filter, SP1592 Hayward PowerFlo Matrix pump.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Wichita Chief View Post
    Glock I'd have told her I had some really bad underwear stains and does she think this would be enough to make them white again? Ewwww!
    ewwwwwwww and spewwwwwwwwww LOL I like that one too!

Kim

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Glock View Post
    You should send the hubby up there and ask to buy something like a silver plated catalyser rod. When they ask what it is tell them you invented a machine that generates Chlorine from corn and it has no moving parts. Tell him you need the rod for the oxidizing unit, it keeps the corn from popping and gives the color a deep dark blue hue. All of it's a bunch of garbage talk, of course, but it should really make them wonder what you are doing to your pool.

On a lighter note, I had a snarky lady at Walmart ask me "what on earth are you going to do with all that bleach?" I told her I was making methamphetamine and asked directions to the pharmacy for sudafed. She did not find it as funny as I did.
    Y'all are killing me...... I always want to tell them I'm cleaning up a crime scene but I'm afraid they'll take me serious and call the cops
    Montgomery, AL

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by smforte View Post
    Y'all are killing me...... I always want to tell them I'm cleaning up a crime scene but I'm afraid they'll take me serious and call the cops
    LOL.. i did have two walmart workers ask me why i was buying 12 gallons of bleach.. I told tell them to clean up ALOT of blood! They both had the thousand yard stare and said huh!!! Few seconds later i tried to explain to them for pool use.. They still did not understand lol..
    IG Pebble sheen blue surf approx. 14k gallon, beach entry, 7' spa, 3.5 ton jumping rock/waterfall, Pentair 2hp whisper flo, booster pump, 520 cartridge filter, Stenner Econ T, 400k master temp heater, easy touch controls,TF-100 w/speedstir

14. Back To Top    #14

Why are you buying so much bleach? "I like a really white wash"!
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

15. Back To Top    #15

I get a dumb stare when I say I use it for my pool...
    Montgomery, AL

16. Back To Top    #16

I should resell no-name bleach with a sticker on it that says Clear and Sparkle Pool Magic Liquid and charge it $2 more. I already feel rich just typing this.
    Circa 20,000 gal IGP, 12 years old, Hayward SP2607X10, 1 hp single speed pump, Hayward S244T Sand filter, vinyl liner, using Aquacheck test strips and Taylor K-2006 Test Kit, 1 skimmer, 1 bottom drain, 2 jets (near stairs and on the opposite deep end)

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

Some one beat you to the punch they labeled it "liquid pool shock" but at 3.99 a gallon for 12.5% it's not that bad a deal. I think there is a lightning bolt on the label and everything.
    Chuck-
    15x30 Above ground, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is funded by member support click here to help