First test run with new kit....please advise

Jul 10, 2016
Pearland TX
Ok I have a 14000 fiberglass pool that is extremely slippery. I think I have white mold as I have finally seen some wispy white like stuff floating. Not much...just a few.

So I finally got my test kit and ran it. Here are the numbers.

Note I have been adding bleach about 1/3 of a gallon bottle most nights figuring I had a problem and wanted extra chlorine. I am confident I will be recommended to SLAM the pool...which is fine but I just need help in determining what to do first before I SLAM.

TC >5 dark gold color
ph 7.8
FC 14
cc 0.5
cya 60
ch 175
ta 100

ok hit me up with all your wisdom and expertise please!!!!! Eager learner here!!!

thanks in advance for all help

Your CYA is a little high but is manageable for a non-SWG pool. You could lower your CYA by replacing some water but in the Texas heat, CYA of 60 might be fine. I would probably leave it, it will require more bleach though.

What test kit do you have?

Have you read the SLAM instructions?

Ahh, I sorry if I missed that in your sig, I see it now. 60 if fine for SWG, actually at the bottom of the recommended level for SWG.

Do a Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) . If you fail, then you need to SLAM.

- - - Updated - - -

Be sure that your SWG is off when doing the OCLT and most recommend turning it off during the SLAM to reduce the # of variables you are dealing with.

Ok. Will do it tonight. Like I said I am pretty confident I have some biological in my pool since its soooo slippery.

And has has been since day 1. I think the slip into the pool count is up to 8. Lol

trying to keep my humor.

thanks again for any advice. If you think I should increase my cya.....just make the comment..lol

- - - Updated - - -

And I am using a Tf 100 kit

Plan is to recheck tests today. Re do pool math and start a SLAM plus brush more often. Will not add anymore stabilizer will lower pH once it has been double checked.( brand new Tf 100 kit.....just to be sure....ICU nurse who is a bit type A at times...lol). And to do the overnight chlorine test. Whew. I am going to be busy.

Any other suggestions......

I also had a few slips down the stairs in to my fiberglass pool when it was new that I should have been issued a "Fall Risk" bracelet! :geek:

It took me a few falls to realize that the stairs aren't that wide and the anti-slip surface is only on the flat stair and not the rounded stair edge at the front of the step that I tended to hit. I make sure to hold the hand rail when going in now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When will the slippery feeling go away with this fiberglass pool??? Day 3 of slam. Numbers look good. Need to do the overnight test

FC 26.6
Cc 0
cya 60

brushing daily and vacuuming

pool is still crystal clear...

any my other suggestions???

and when is it safe to go into pool??? What level??? Kids are itching to go back in!!!!!! Lol. After all it's summer in Houston

thanks in advance for any advice suggestions etc

We have never had algae. It's a brand new fiberglass pool that has been crystal clear since day one. The pool has been slippery since day one and I can't figure out why. We are brushing and did a SLAM hoping it may be a white mold.
I did see just last week a few white wispy paperlike things floating around

skimmer is clear. Pool is crystal clear ..brushing daily during slam....no ladders...hubby doesn't want to mess with lights....but again we have never had any algae..

i am really getting frustrated....not from anyone here but that I can't figure out how to fix it.

and I have reached out to Viking pools and silence so far.

i just want a safe fun pool. Not asking for much....

any other ideas ...suggestions....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.