Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DE going back into pool

1. Back To Top    #1

DE going back into pool

After backwash, I add the DE, I know to put in only 80%. A few weeks ago, I took the filter out to clean the fins. After I put them back, I put in the full DE amount for my filter. I noticed DE going back into the pool. Any ideas? Is the full amount after cleaning still too much

EDIT - This morning, I bw'sd the filter, put in some DE and out from the jets came the DE. I turned it off. Took the fins out to see, they werent that gummed up at all. I took them out, cleaned all of them, rinsed out the bottom of the filter. Put it back together and turned it on to get the air out. Once it was primed, I put in one scoop of DE, i watched the jets, out came some DE. Why?

Thanks
    Gunnite IG , DE FNSP36, FR90, 14000 gal.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DE going back into pool

anyone?

3. Back To Top    #3

no one ?

4. Back To Top    #4

If a pool filter is letting dirt get past it then there is something wrong with the filter. It is either put together incorrectly, a part is broken or the filter material is damaged.

Maybe this tutorial will help to find the problem, Use and care for DE filters
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    If a pool filter is letting dirt get past it then there is something wrong with the filter. It is either put together incorrectly, a part is broken or the filter material is damaged.

Maybe this tutorial will help to find the problem, Use and care for DE filters
    thank you but I have read that before and done it according to that. I took the filter apart a few times, made sure it is properly back together. When I start the pump back and put new DE in, I see it coming out of the jets.

6. Back To Top    #6

There has to be a leak or gap somewhere. Things to check: every inch of filter, broken or cracked plastic case, rubber seal, etc. You will see DE on most of the filter but not much around where the problem lies as the water (and DE) pushes through the problem area. I know they are tough to find, you'll have to look closely on where the DE is escaping.
    '91 Chicago-land Vinyl In-ground Pool: 41x16. 6' deep end / about 20,000 gallons. Hayward Perflex DE filter. Polaris Watermark G1000 Chlorinator (used by previous owner, not me). Hayward H200 Heater. Aux Pump for pressure side robot. (2) skimmers opposite of each other mid-pool, (1) bottom drain, (2) returns on opposite ends of pool lengthwise.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeLawn View Post
    There has to be a leak or gap somewhere. Things to check: every inch of filter, broken or cracked plastic case, rubber seal, etc. You will see DE on most of the filter but not much around where the problem lies as the water (and DE) pushes through the problem area. I know they are tough to find, you'll have to look closely on where the DE is escaping.
    Thank you for the reply, so I will take it all apart and look for a DEless area.

8. Back To Top    #8

Check that the backwash valve is in the right orientation and not damaged as well.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Check that the backwash valve is in the right orientation and not damaged as well.
    gotcha, will do Thanks

10. Back To Top    #10

took the filter out and inspected all of the fins. they ll look good, no cracks on any pipes. i washed it and put it back. I inspected the backwash valve and it is in the right position.

I put more DE in and it came out the jets again when I ran the filter

How can I tell if the valve is damaged or not?

Thanks

11. Back To Top    #11

Only way I know is to open up the valve and inspect it.

Which kind of valve do you have?

Maybe post up some pictures of what you are looking at.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

12. Back To Top    #12

this is the lever Attachment 52308

13. Back To Top    #13

So take the top off the filter valve and make sure the spider gasket is still intact. Just pull the 6-8 screws around the outside.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

Attachment 52310Attachment 52311

Here is what it looks like. I didnt see any cracks

15. Back To Top    #15

I had one of these, roughly the same vintage based on the looks of things and had the same issue. I would bet it's the filter element. Likely torn very slightly in a spot difficult to see, but easy enough for dt to pass through. My ex pool guy made up all sorts of garbage, sand, excess chlorine, etc, but only after he took it apart and inspected for an hour did he find the hole. How old is the internal filter element? How often do you remove and clean?
    Pool: 40k gallon pool shaped as a trapazoid. 10ft / 3ft deep
    Filter: Starite S7MD60 / Pump: Pentair Inteliflo multi speed pump /Robo Cleaner: Kreepy Krauly 830
    Pool heater: Rheem PM m336a (Legacy) / Control: Pentair EasyTouch PL4 Control
    Light: Pentair IntelliBrite 5G White

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by yetis View Post
    I had one of these, roughly the same vintage based on the looks of things and had the same issue. I would bet it's the filter element. Likely torn very slightly in a spot difficult to see, but easy enough for dt to pass through. My ex pool guy made up all sorts of garbage, sand, excess chlorine, etc, but only after he took it apart and inspected for an hour did he find the hole. How old is the internal filter element? How often do you remove and clean?
    Thanks for your reply. So you are saying it is not the lever assembly but the filter fins? I usually take the filter out a few times a year to clean it. So far this year I have taken it out four times. Yesterday when I took it out It had some small bare spots but I figured it may have been from me clumisly taking it out. I am short and its kind of heavy wet and full of gunk. I didnt hit it on any thing to tear it but it did bump on my body and legs

I took the fins out one by one and looked at them after spraying but did not see anything obvious. But if it is a small tear, I could have missed it. I will check the fins again very meticulously

Thank you