Auto-switch between vac and skim variable speed pump

Gokctx

Jul 16, 2016
Escondido
I have an older pool that does not have a separate pipe for skimmer and vacuum. I have a device called vac mate that replaces skimmer basket and allows vacuuming and skimming at same time. You can manually set how much suction goes to each. It works great as long as there is lots of suction.

Am thinking about getting a variable speed pump. As I understand with VSP you set it to low for most of day while just skimming and then switch to high for a short period while just vacuuming (since vacuum requires more suction).

Is there some device that will auto switch between vac and skim depending on if VSP is set to low or high speed or based on time of day? This would allow me to run VSP at minimum speed needed to effectively vacuum and minimum speed needed to effectively skim vs running at a higher more expensive speed to support effective skimming and vacuuming simultaneously.

Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here :)

I leave my pump on low speed, then when I'm going to vacuum, I switch it to medium speed, which I have set at the RPM that is ideal for the vacuum.

It can also be set to be on that speed for part of a schedule, and then you would vacuum only at that time of day.

Thx for the response.

Understood that you set variable speed pump to optimal speed when vacuuming and then optimal speed while skimming.

In my system you have to vacuum and skim at the same time since the vacuum is tied into the skimmer basket (no separate vac line). This means when vacuuming I have to set to higher rpm due to it skimming also and vice versa.

Looking for device that automatically switches between 100% vac and 100% skim so I can set to absolute min RPM necessary to do either task.

Saw something called the Hayward automatic vac plate anyone have good luck with this? How does it switch between vac and skim? Time of day / suction / programmable?

Sounds like there is an opportunity for some entrepreneur to make an automatic vac / skim switch that integrates with skimming basket. I can't be the only one who would like to auto switch from vac to skim.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.