Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: This mornings readings-anything here to worry about?

1. Back To Top    #1

This mornings readings-anything here to worry about?

FC 9.0 (overdid it with chlorine last night, generally do 7.0)
    CC 0.0
    pH 7.5
    CYA 40
    TA 70
    CH 375
    Yields CSI of +0.11

Water looks perfect, only problem is that I have been trying to maintain the pH at 7.2 to drive the CSI slightly negative. It just bounces right back to 7.5-7.8, and I feel like I am spending a fortune on MA. Also been adding baking soda the last week, and have gotten the TA up from 60 to 70. Its a 2.5 month old Pebble Fina dark colored finish, paranoid about calcium scaling since I am on well water. Anything I should be worried about?
    30k gallon in ground pool
    Pebble Fina Sapphire Galaxy Finish
    1 HP Pentair Whisperflo Pump
    Pentair FNSP60 DE Filter
    The Pool Cleaner 2 Wheel Vacuum

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: This mornings readings-anything here to worry about?

Numbers are good. Stop raising TA, it is fine at 60 or even 50. Let it drop with your MA additions and see how it goes for a while. Good to keep your CSI slightly negative. Nice work!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the input. The directions to the test kit say that TA of 100-120 was optimal, think that's what got me trying to raise it up some. Was hoping it would help keep my pH from jumping up constantly, which I understand is normal for new plaster. I have dumped the chlorine pucks and fired my pool guy, so officially on my own after five years of being completely clueless. Testing the water is actually kind of fun, I feel like "Sid the Science Kid".
    Pentair FNSP60 DE Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Right! Higher TA causes PH to tend to rise.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

And since the plaster is new you're gonna have to deal with that anyway... regardless of your TA, your pH will probably be rising. Do you have any water features that are also encouraging the pH to rise?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

6. Back To Top    #6

No water features, unfortunately. Plus my returns are not adjustable (just cut pipe), so I can't adjust them to break the surface.
    Pentair FNSP60 DE Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

I personally would recommend adding Borates to your pool. I also had rising pH problems, adding acid almost everyday. The Borates have stabilized my pH considerably and I have been adding much less acid.
    13K gal, inground, pebble, 3HP Pentair Intellipro VS pump, Sta-Rite System 3 cartridge filter, A&A infloor cleaning system, Taylor K2006 test kit. Build date 06/15.

8. Back To Top    #8

Hey there Marne Doggie, Rubone! HooohAh! ::Yippee starts humming 3rd ID song "Dog Faced Soldier" like old times in Germany:::

Rubone, Borates are a good option but best left for after all TA & pH adjustments made and stable. Once the borates are added its more difficult to make changes.

Yippee
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

9. Back To Top    #9

"I wouldn't give a bean, to be a fancy pants Marine...." Yes Sir, Yippee! I adjusted my TA and dropped my pH low then added the Borates. Then added more acid to compensate for the rise the Borates provided. But now.... My pH is so much more stable and I couldn't be happier. Because muriatic acid is much more expensive than liquid chlorine where I live... Stuttgart, huh? I was in 3ID at Ft Stewart, GA. About four years after they relocated there from Germany.
    13K gal, inground, pebble, 3HP Pentair Intellipro VS pump, Sta-Rite System 3 cartridge filter, A&A infloor cleaning system, Taylor K2006 test kit. Build date 06/15.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by hello_newman View Post
    No water features, unfortunately. Plus my returns are not adjustable (just cut pipe), so I can't adjust them to break the surface.
    *HelloooooNewmannnn* (are you also a mail carrier?) Well, since you're not looking to increase your pH with aeration at this point, not being able to adjust your returns is a moot point. Just see how well a lower TA helps in keeping your pH more stable, 'k?