Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Add Copper to pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Add Copper to pool?

Hi all! I converted a 6000 gallon Intek vinyl pool from baquacil (son having allergic reaction) to saltwater by draining, scrubbing, and refilling. All has worked out well so far even though I started the conversion trusting test strips. Pool has been clear since day one of conversion. I have since got the TF100 test kit. My question is the Intek SWG manual says to bring the copper level up to 0.1-0.2ppm by running in BOOST mode and then keep FC at 3ppm. I have done none of this and instead have been following the TFP recommedations. However, I haven't found advice on TFP about copper (I'm sure I am missing it with the plethora of info here).
    Do I continue to ignore the copper recommendation or should I bring copper up to 0.1 ppm to help retard algae growth? (The Intek manual warns of green hair if copper goes above 0.3ppm)
    I overdosed the initial salt fill but all seems ok, and TA is high, but no issues so I haven't taken corrective action on this. I run the SWG and Filter 6 hours per day at night.

Last readings:
    pH 7.5
    Total Chlorine 5
    Free Chlorine 4.5
    CYA: 80
    CH: 175
    TA: 170
    Salt: 3800
    6000 Gallon Intek above ground pool, vinyl, Intek 1500gpm filter cartridge pump, Intek CS8110 Krystal Clear Saltwater System

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Add Copper to pool?

I had that swg and I disconnected the copper electrode...
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

I would not add copper to the pool....too many potential negative side affects. Properly chlorinated, you will never have to worry about algae.
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Copper is a source of staining that can be impossible to remove. You seem to have a good handle on things by not using copper so I see no reason to start.

Generally speaking, this forum simply does not suggest the use of copper.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I too have that swg on my mother-in-laws pool, and I just unplugged the copper electrode. No need for copper in the pool.
    8638 gallon 20'x52" Intex ultra frame round AG. 2650 gph Intex Sand Filter. Intex krystal Klear SWG. (newer model that includes copper ion generation) Hayward 1091LX skimmer, Kreepy Krauly lil shark. Taylor K-2006 w/speed stir and sample sizer. New this year, Intex PureSpa - dichlor-> bleach method for sanitizing.
    New pool, 16'x36' (approx 18000 gal) in ground pool, Haywood DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by PridgNYC View Post
    I too have that swg on my mother-in-laws pool, and I just unplugged the copper electrode. No need for copper in the pool.

Great - I will do this. I am looking at the instruction manual and looks like it is just downstream of the flow sensor.

Thanks everyone!
    6000 Gallon Intek above ground pool, vinyl, Intek 1500gpm filter cartridge pump, Intek CS8110 Krystal Clear Saltwater System

7. Back To Top    #7

it's pretty easy to tell which one it is, it has big copper blocks attached to it.
    8638 gallon 20'x52" Intex ultra frame round AG. 2650 gph Intex Sand Filter. Intex krystal Klear SWG. (newer model that includes copper ion generation) Hayward 1091LX skimmer, Kreepy Krauly lil shark. Taylor K-2006 w/speed stir and sample sizer. New this year, Intex PureSpa - dichlor-> bleach method for sanitizing.
    New pool, 16'x36' (approx 18000 gal) in ground pool, Haywood DE filter