Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: The pool is ours...

1. Back To Top    #1

The pool is ours...

Well, the builder has turned it over to us now and they are working on a few final punch list items. They gave me the proper set points for my pool (don't have those with me right now) and advised I buy a better kit than what they give us. I am pretty sure they use the TF100 or the K2006. Their cost is 97.00....and I know I can get it here for much less. Anyway, we have a Saltwater pool. Which kit is best for me to get and do I need to get any other test items (strips etc) to go with my kit?
    11.5K Plaster, level spa, Salt with Pentair Equipment.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: The pool is ours...

Strips are useless other than for quick, "ballpark" checks to be followed up with TFP recommended test kits. Congratulations on your new pool!
    14,000 Gal, InGround, Spa Attached, Satin-Matrix Northshore Tahoe Pebble-Tec, Remodel 6/15, Taylor K-2006 Kit, Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump, Polaris 280 Sweep, Jandy CL460 Cartridge Filter, Solar Heated. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Get one of the recommended test kits and add the Taylor K-1766 (I believe) salt test kit to it. I would buy (actually, I DID buy) the TF100.
    Pool/Equipment: 20'x52" round Intex Ultra Frame AGP (~8,800 gallons)--Intex SWCG (CG-28669, 15K gallon model)--Intex Sand Filter Pump (SF60110, 16", 120lbs sand, 3K gph)--Hayward SP1091LX Through-Wall Skimmer--Hard Plumbing--Taylor K-1766 Salt Test Kit--TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by 911medic View Post
    Get one of the recommended test kits and add the Taylor K-1766 (I believe) salt test kit to it. I would buy (actually, I DID buy) the TF100.
    I will pull the trigger on the TF100...but I am not sure I need the K-1766 only because my Intellichlor system tells me the salt PPM on the fly without any testing needed. Can anybody advise on me still needing the K-1766?

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by aguyindallas View Post
    I will pull the trigger on the TF100...but I am not sure I need the K-1766 only because my Intellichlor system tells me the salt PPM on the fly without any testing needed. Can anybody advise on me still needing the K-1766?
    A salt test is good to have to verify the SWCG is operating properly. It seem to be a common symptom that when the salt cell is dying it will give false low salt readings/false low salt warnings. If you only went by the SWCG in this situation, you would just keep adding more salt until you realized something wasn't right, ending up with high salt requiring water replacement.

I know many here only recommend the Taylor salt kit, but I find the AquaCheck salt strips accurate enough for this purpose; they've always been within 200ppm or so of my SWCG reading in my experience (when the SWCG is operating properly).
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

6. Back To Top    #6

One other question about this....should I get the TF100 or the K2006?...what is the difference?

7. Back To Top    #7

I have and like the 2006 but may have overbought. Think you'll be fine with the TF100.
    14,000 Gal, InGround, Spa Attached, Satin-Matrix Northshore Tahoe Pebble-Tec, Remodel 6/15, Taylor K-2006 Kit, Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump, Polaris 280 Sweep, Jandy CL460 Cartridge Filter, Solar Heated. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Frankhugus View Post
    I have and like the 2006 but may have overbought. Think you'll be fine with the TF100.
    So the 2006 is "more" than the TF100

9. Back To Top    #9

So the 2006 is "more" than the TF100
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...its-comparison
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

10. Back To Top    #10

I went ahead and ordered the TF100 and the K-1766.

11. Back To Top    #11

I went ahead and ordered the TF100 and the K-1766.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You'll be glad you did.
    Pool/Equipment: 20'x52" round Intex Ultra Frame AGP (~8,800 gallons)--Intex SWCG (CG-28669, 15K gallon model)--Intex Sand Filter Pump (SF60110, 16", 120lbs sand, 3K gph)--Hayward SP1091LX Through-Wall Skimmer--Hard Plumbing--Taylor K-1766 Salt Test Kit--TF-100 Test Kit