Ok I have a new issue...but water's still clear ?

Jul 3, 2015
Eudora, Ks
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So I was going to be gone for a long weekend so I bumped FC to 20 last Friday evening to compensate for not being around for 3 days to test. Didn't want to chance the green lagoon again. When I got home Monday night I tested again and FC was at 2ppm. I have 0 cc, and clear water, no algae present. My OCLT was 0. I'm testing every other day and having about 5ppm loss every 2 days(aiming to maintain 7ppm). I do not mind adding a half gallon of 12.5% every couple days but I'm concerned because I will be out of town for 9 days and have no one to keep an eye on it. CYA is at 45 (subjective but based on TF100 test kit sample pool water). What do you all recommend to keep my sparkling pool intact while I'm gone? And doesn't the daily loss seem excessive? Let me know if more info is needed to make intelligent recommendations. Thanks!

Last edited:
So I was going to be gone for a long weekend so I bumped FC to 20 last Friday evening to compensate for not being around for 3 days to test. Didn't want to chance the green lagoon again. When I got home Monday night I tested again and FC was at 2ppm. I have 0 cc, and clear water, no algae present. My OCLT was 0. I'm testing every other day and having about 5ppm loss every 2 days(aiming to maintain 7ppm). I do not mind adding a half gallon of 12.5% every couple days but I'm concerned because I will be out of town for 9 days and have no one to keep an eye on it. CYA is at 45 (subjective but based on TF100 test kit sample pool water). What do you all recommend to keep my sparkling pool intact while I'm gone? And doesn't the daily loss seem excessive? Let me know if more info is needed to make intelligent recommendations. Thanks!
If you passed the OCLT, you have a CC less than 0.5ppm, and the water is clear I would think that the approx 2.5ppm loss per day is normal chlorine usage.

9 days is a long time, you can bring the pool to shock level, and cover it to minimize chlorine loss.

You could also put an 8oz puck or two in a floater. Each puck will add approx 5.5ppm FC & 3.3ppm CYA.

Dom

If you passed the OCLT, you have a CC less than 0.5ppm, and the water is clear I would think that the approx 2.5ppm loss per day is normal chlorine usage.

9 days is a long time, you can bring the pool to shock level, and cover it to minimize chlorine loss.

You could also put an 8oz puck or two in a floater. Each puck will add approx 5.5ppm FC & 3.3ppm CYA.

Dom
i thought about covering, but all I have is a solar cover and I was concerned about bringing the water temp that high in August. I already get to 86 on a 95+ day uncovered. Maybe I will just have to have my hubby build the pool enclosure, lol! Thanks for the input!

- - - Updated - - -

Going through the same issue. You and I both may not have gone up to the recommended FC level for SLAM which is 31 for me. The water is clear for now but may perform SLAM again.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Thank you for the suggestion. I was at 30ppm for 3 days after clearing just to be sure. My SLAM was 24, but I got great advice from another member here who suggested the higher number would only result in slightly greater chlorine loss but clear my pool faster. I don't have to be concerned with liner bleaching with my style of pool. I wish you great luck in figuring your pool issue out. After all this is the perfect place to come for those problematic pool scenarios!

Thank you for the suggestion. I was at 30ppm for 3 days after clearing just to be sure. My SLAM was 24, but I got great advice from another member here who suggested the higher number would only result in slightly greater chlorine loss but clear my pool faster. I don't have to be concerned with liner bleaching with my style of pool. I wish you great luck in figuring your pool issue out. After all this is the perfect place to come for those problematic pool scenarios!
I was just looking up 'Chois Pools' and don't see any mention of the liner being resistant to bleaching.

Chois Portable Pools

Looks like it is a standard reinforced PVC liner similar to my Intex.

I'm curious how you and the other member determined this? Bleaching a liner is not just about color fade, it will also make the liner brittle & susceptible to cracking when dry.

Dom

I always figured if I keep my CYA down to about 40 or 50 then I could use pucks for a few days if we leave town without getting in too much trouble. Plus, I don't think it would up the CYA that much with splash out and topping off the pool here and there. But don't go by me....I'm still the one asking all the questions! haha
Sherry

I was just looking up 'Chois Pools' and don't see any mention of the liner being resistant to bleaching.

Chois Portable Pools

Looks like it is a standard reinforced PVC liner similar to my Intex.

I'm curious how you and the other member determined this? Bleaching a liner is not just about color fade, it will also make the liner brittle & susceptible to cracking when dry.

Dom
It is a Kevlar reinforced vinyl that according to my dealer is resistant to chemical, weather, and bullets (of all things,lol). The people giving me advice did not say anything about bleaching. As we do not drain our pool and put away each season- it's a little less portable than say an Intex would be, it will only ever be "dry" as you say above the skimmer and eye. I came to that conclusion with help from the dealer's info. I've had no ill effects from the 30ppm for a few days, but appreciate your concern. Thank you!

It is a Kevlar reinforced vinyl that according to my dealer is resistant to chemical, weather, and bullets (of all things,lol). The people giving me advice did not say anything about bleaching. As we do not drain our pool and put away each season- it's a little less portable than say an Intex would be, it will only ever be "dry" as you say above the skimmer and eye. I came to that conclusion with help from the dealer's info. I've had no ill effects from the 30ppm for a few days, but appreciate your concern. Thank you!
The scrim (reinforcement) is listed on the website as polyester, not Kevlar, is embedded within the PVC (mfg website states PVC) and does nothing to protect the outer layer of the liner. Again, the manufacturer states nothing about chemical resistance, only UV & bacterial/fungal resistance.

It seems that your 'dealer' is either mis-informed about the product, the manufacturer has improved their product but fails to advertise that improvement, or the dealer is telling you what he thinks you want to hear.

Did you check with the dealer to see what the highest recommended FC levels are to comply with your warranty terms? I would hate to see you ruin that very expensive liner.

With that said, let's get back on topic. What is your vacation plan?

Dom

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.