Fiberglass pool gap between decking and pool by waterline question

C

cwilliams2000

So I am in the middle or close to the end of a fiberglass viking pool install. We chose exposed aggregate decking and the company did what looks like a good job around expansion joints. One odd thing I noticed is that they used forms to pour the decking, well thats not odd. But these forms went into a track system. Then it gets left in place after the deck is poured.

But now from in the pool at the top of the fiberglass you are looking at the track edge and there is no sealant, so as I am splashing around the pool watre seems to be going by capillary action under the deck and coming out the other end of the deck.

We didnt do tile in this pool but might later but I am wondering if this gap needs to be sealed with something around the pool. I am waiting on the contractor to reply but he hasnt yet. It's almost like a finish strip could snap into the track edge.

That seems a bit odd to me. Our pool has a flagstone coping (pics in my sig), but there is a mortar seal between the top of the shell and the stone decking so water can't flow behind it. Maybe post a pic for others to see? Have you discussed this issue with the installer and any concerns about water retention or compromise either from splashing or heavy rains when water will overflow into that gap?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.