Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Would anyone like to comment on this ? It's got really good reviews..

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Would anyone like to comment on this ? It's got really good reviews..

It's from Costco so no issue with return. I'm very familiar with TFP method and follow it religiously. I thought maybe another set of eyes on this product might help. Would it help if I was on vacation for 5 days or even if I wasn't ?

Sounds like it might help with chlorine usage as I use a gallon of 10% sanitizer per day during this ridiculous heat for 3 months. Seems like the reviews are excellent.

Here's some pictures and a link to Costco site. I do have very hard water >800 in my pool.. Here are my numbers:

Link: Chlorine-Free Sun Shock Pool Purifier

CYA 60
    FC 7
    CC 0
    PH 7.4
    TA ? I need to check, it was 90-100 few months ago
    Pool temp is 90 degrees

Is it worth a shot ? Not a replacement for TFP but as an addition.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    12k gal Gunite/Hayward filter C5520BH with quad 33 inch filters. 2.5 hp motor. Pool is on south side, so full sun light. Spill over spa.
    Laar's heater LT250-Low NOx Gas Fired for pool/spa 250,000 BTU. Roof mount 6 panel solar system installed east/south. TF-100 test kit. May-September 100+ degrees out side.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Would anyone like to comment on this ? It's got really good reviews..

It's not recommended to add minerals... Not TFP, sorry
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

It's copper and silver. I would not use it.

4. Back To Top    #4

Lots of folks here are spending a lot of time and money trying to remove copper and copper stains from their pools. Copper will accumulate over time and stain the water, plaster, hair, fingernails, dogs, etc. Also, copper doesn't sanitize pool water it only inhibits algae growth. The primary function of chlorine in your pool is to keep it sanitary and prevent person to person disease transmission.

You can raise your CYA a bit more to help protect the FC from the sun better.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

There are easier ways to make the mistake of adding metals to your water, and probably cheaper.

Now, a solar powered chlorine generator I would buy.
    50,000 gallon plaster in-ground salt pool with two 60 sq ft DE filters, two Intellichlor IC60 SWGs, two Intelliflo VS pumps, two Whisperflo pumps, two Pentair 400K BTU NG heaters, PCC2000 in-floor cleaning system...two everything.

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok. I didn't understand it releases copper and other minerals into the water. The Ion would contain copper, I understand that now.

Thanks
    12k gal Gunite/Hayward filter C5520BH with quad 33 inch filters. 2.5 hp motor. Pool is on south side, so full sun light. Spill over spa.
    Laar's heater LT250-Low NOx Gas Fired for pool/spa 250,000 BTU. Roof mount 6 panel solar system installed east/south. TF-100 test kit. May-September 100+ degrees out side.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Hmm, "ideal copper level 0.3" LOL

The true "ideal copper level" is 0.0

Run away from this product, and run fast.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Their write up is pretty misleading too. It is not impossible to have algae and copper in your pool! At $99 its also an expensive way to add copper to the pool.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Schadenfreude View Post
    There are easier ways to make the mistake of adding metals to your water, and probably cheaper.

Now, a solar powered chlorine generator I would buy.
    Like this? Very expensive in my opinion, and not sure how it work...

https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Curre...uckduckgo-d-20
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Piolin View Post
    Like this? Very expensive in my opinion, and not sure how it work...

https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Curre...uckduckgo-d-20
    Hard to find reviews for this product, but I don't see how that solar panel could possibly generate adequate power to generate enough chlorine for anything bigger than a plastic kiddie pool.
    50,000 gallon plaster in-ground salt pool with two 60 sq ft DE filters, two Intellichlor IC60 SWGs, two Intelliflo VS pumps, two Whisperflo pumps, two Pentair 400K BTU NG heaters, PCC2000 in-floor cleaning system...two everything.

11. Back To Top    #11

My cell runs 6A @ 24V, or 144W. A 145W solar panel is about 4ft x 4ft.

I would guesstimate the panel for this to be reliable would be about 4'x8' and require storage batteries.

How big is this cell?
    My Pool: 18'x36' Grecian. Vinyl Liner, 500# sand filter, SWG.

My hobbies: Brewing beer and flying rockets.

12. Back To Top    #12

Just found it, 35"x35". It may be possible for this to function for a small pool.

For 27000 gallons, I run my T15 cell.at 30% for 12 hours.

Assuming conditions permit a 145W array to run at 30% duty cycle for 12 hours, it would power my cell. This is 56% of that area. So I'm guesstimating this would support a 15k pool for optimum (i.e. unachievable) conditions.

Bottom line: At first blush it seems plausible for a small pool, perhaps <10k gallons

13. Back To Top    #13

For that price, you can get a more reliable "traditional" SWG for a mid-sized pool.

I love the idea, but I don't think we're there yet.

Edit: this is about half the surface area of a 48 X 48 panel, so roughly 75 watts.

14. Back To Top    #14

Correction. The panel I had in mind wasn't 145W, but only 45W. Totally impractical...