Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Barracuda G3 Suction Too Strong

1. Back To Top    #1

Barracuda G3 Suction Too Strong

Quite the dilemma here. I've had my Barracuda G3 (love it!) for a few years now working perfectly. This year, I had to replace my filter/pump and now the suction is too strong even with the flow control set to the lowest setting. So now I am thinking about adding another flow control valve somewhere down the hose line to lower it even more. Has anyone out there ever tried this tactic? I'd hate to have to replace a perfectly good G3. I'm also open to suggestions...

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Barracuda G3 Suction Too Strong

That would work if you can connect it in somehow.

If you connect it through the skimmer:

You might be able to get a skimmer vacuum plate that has an adjustable bypass. The nice part of that is that you get at least some skimming also occurring while you're vacuuming.

If your pool also have a main drain, and the two intakes are separately valved, you could reduce the amount your pump is pulling from the skimmer by opening the main drain valve more and closing the skimmer valve a little.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

3. Back To Top    #3

I only have 1 intake and it is the skimmer. I'll check out that vacuum plate you mentioned. Thanks!

4. Back To Top    #4

Here's a picture of mine
    waterco vacuum plate - Bing images
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners