Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is JUST Skimmer enough?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is JUST Skimmer enough?

With having added a skimmer this yr, it totally changed the location of everything. I am wondering if just the skimmer is enough going from the pool to the filter. Daily, I have to vacuum because there is visible stuff on the floor EVERY day. I have been doing my best for a SLAM as my work schedule is 8-10 hrs M-F. So I check it in the AM before leaving for work & add enough Chlorine that PoolMath says will take it to 16FC. When I get home I test then vacuum then add again. On the weekends I test 2-3 hrs apart & add chlorine as needed. I've asked my 18 yr old to brush every day, granted his brushing is not as complete as when I do it, but it's the best I can do while I am at work. I am just wondering if I added another suction port lower in the pool if it would suck up this stuff better than the skimmer by itself? [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
    AG18x48 6,800 gal TWM-30-S Sand filter, TWM-30 3/4 HP single speed pump Hayward SP1091WM Dyna-Skim Above-Ground Pool Skimmer Kit TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is JUST Skimmer enough?

You're doing great. Exactly what we would expect for a busy, full-time working parent. Most pools like yours have just one skimmer, and sure, inevitably some stuff gets waterlogged and sinks before getting sucked into the skimmer, but that's how it works. You could consider trying to add another return just to help push water towards the skimmer if you like. That may help. As for your teenager's cleaning skills & patience ... well .... let's just say mine is the same way. Have a nice weekend.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

The skimmer should be enough for circulation purposes. You are always going to be getting dirt and debris in the pool ... so you either need to keep manually vacuuming, or get some kind of automated cleaner (which is what most people have).
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

OK, cool but would adding another return & another port lower in the pool to the pump help more?

- - - Updated - - -

Automated cleaner? Don't those STAY in the pool? I don't really see this pool having enough room to LEAVE something in the pool. Or am I misunderstanding automated cleaners?
    Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    The skimmer should be enough for circulation purposes. You are always going to be getting dirt and debris in the pool ... so you either need to keep manually vacuuming, or get some kind of automated cleaner (which is what most people have).
    AG18x48 6,800 gal TWM-30-S Sand filter, TWM-30 3/4 HP single speed pump Hayward SP1091WM Dyna-Skim Above-Ground Pool Skimmer Kit TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

OK, cool but would adding another return & another port lower in the pool to the pump help more?
    My comment was I reference to some other Intex owners who had sufficient pump "push" of water to consider splitting-off of the return hose and making a second return line. Some get quite creative and make either another return jet and/or an aeration port for a fountain. If you do some TPF "searches" at the top right you'll see great examples.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

6. Back To Top    #6

Yeah, I added a fountain, (the red handle in the picture). I'll look into adding another return, wife & I had already discussed it. The one return right now WOWSER when standing in front of it, lol. I'll check out the searches & see what I can find. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    My comment was I reference to some other Intex owners who had sufficient pump "push" of water to consider splitting-off of the return hose and making a second return line. Some get quite creative and make either another return jet and/or an aeration port for a fountain. If you do some TPF "searches" at the top right you'll see great examples.

7. Back To Top    #7

I think a lot of members use things like the AquaBug?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Do you use any kind of pool cover?

I figured I really didn't need one on my small pool, especially after getting all the trees in my backyard cut down. But just a few weeks ago, I bought a solar cover and boy has it made a difference as to how clean my pool stays.

I was running Wanda the Whale twice a week before getting the cover and now I just use her once a week.

I highly recommend both.

Solar cover on - warms up pool, keeps it cleaner, lessens evaporation.

Solar cover off.

Wanda the Whale doing her cleaning thing.
    Karan - 18 ft round x 48" high - Intex ultra-frame AGP, Intex 3/4 hp pump with 14" sand filter (SF70110), Hayward 900 Wanda the Whale cleaner, Intex LED water fountain.
    18ft Round Intex Ultra Frame in The Mitten

9. Back To Top    #9

Very clever use of PVC on the sides Karan!

10. Back To Top    #10

Pool Cover = no [QUOTE=KazzyK810;1094664]Do you use any kind of pool cover?

I figured I really didn't need one on my small pool, especially after getting all the trees in my backyard cut down. But just a few weeks ago, I bought a solar cover and boy has it made a difference as to how clean my pool stays.

I was running Wanda the Whale twice a week before getting the cover and now I just use her once a week.

So does Wanda STAY in the pool ALL the time? That is my question/concern

I highly recommend both.

Solar cover on - warms up pool, keeps it cleaner, lessens evaporation.

How much work is it to put on & take off?

Solar cover off.

VERY good Idea I might just have to steal.