Bad Savi Melody Pool light

Aug 3, 2012
Help!

Ive been a satisfied lurker for years at troublefreepool. I built my pool in 2012 and made several rookie mistakes along the way. My pool builder took advantage of my ignorance and got me for a lot of unnecessary costs and upgrades. While complaining to my seasoned pool owner buddy, he turned me on to troublefree pool and Ive worked my way through a variety of problems successfully ever since.

:BACKSTORY: for the TLDR people to avoid

Ive been researching here all day and I think im finally at the point where i just need to post a thread and get some expert advice.

My light died early this summer and I finally decided to figure out why today. After researching here, i realized it was threaded onto a 1.5" pipe and should be pretty strait forward. I unscrewed it and pulled but it had a ton of tension. I then started exploring and took the face off my control panel over 100' away. I found a manufactured cable going into light attachment behind my panel. Great, this must be it so I discoed, attached a string to it because it had no slack and then got into my pool to pull the light out. It pulled out fine and once i was able to investigate, i found it was flooded. :-( It has http://www.nextstepproduct.com stamped all over it but when i enter that website in my browser, it redirects me to savilights.com. Its basically one of those style lights.

:MY QUESTION:

Now that my light is dead, I basically have a threaded 1.5" pipe in my pool that runs all the way to my control panel. At the panel, I have a 12v transformer for the LED light and of 120vac of course for the panel.
I figure that should open up some options for my replacement but Im not sure what. Does anyone have an suggestions for something cheep and reliable for replacement? I fear spending $400 on the same light just to have it go bad again. Im seeing options on amazon for under $200 but I dont haven any experience with them. All suggestions are welcome!!

Ok so you have Jandy Savi nicheless lights. While technically the cord can run directly to a panel or control box usually the cable runs to a nearby pool junction box that is a foot or more above the pool.

If the lights were installed by your builder I would call Jandy and make a warranty claim.

Otherwise I would get a pool electrician with experience with nicheless lights to look at it.

Pentair also makes nicheless lights

If you have more questions post pics of pool and panel with the cover off

If you want to dyi this that's fine, but understand this is not basic simple electrical.

Not sure how Zodiac is handling warranty claims on lights that were manufactured by next step before they were purchased by Zodiac, especially if the rest of your equipment is not Zodiac.

Zodiac has made improvements to the lights since their purchase, so I would not hesitate to go with the newer zodiac version. I don't believe that the Pentair nicheless lights fit into 1.5" wall fittings, but I could be wrong.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.