First Time Pool Owner...confused with WHERE TO START with chemicals???

Jul 3, 2016
OKC, OK
Hey everyone!

I have been reading and reading and reading, so much good information on here, thanks so much!

Here's where I'm stuck. We just finished filling our pool last night and our pump is leaking, so we haven't been able to turn that on yet. (It seems to be a leaking gasket, so hopefully we can fix that tonight.) But here's where I'm confused. First of all, I'm confused with the amount of gallons I have in my pool. Intex says one thing and each of the calculators I have used, say another. Not sure which one to go with, since some of my Intex info has already proved inaccurate.

Then, I'm confused with where to start with my levels and how much bleach to start adding. I understand I should put my numbers in the calculator to see where I'm deficient and such....but nothing is in the pool yet. I've read I should start with the CYA and then go from there, so I tested that just now. But the water never got cloudy, so that means the reading is lower than 30? (which is the lowest mark on my test) But I haven't added any, because I haven't known how much?? Ack....I think I may be making this more complicated than it should be, but I haven't quite wrapped my brain around it yet.

Can anyone recommend where to start and what I should add initially??

Thank you, thank you!
Ashley

Someone will be along to answer your question about the gallons.

Do you have a test kit yet. If not, you will need one. http://www.tftestkits.com

If you just filled the pool, you don't yet have any CYA. According to poolmath, you have 13500 gallons. Lets start there. 54oz of CYA (stabilizer) will get you to 30ppm.

Then Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart , show that with CYA of 30, you should be at 2 to 4 ppm of FC. Then you can use pool math to determine how much bleach to add based on where you are at now.

^^ Agreed ^^ Definitely get used to the Poolmath calculator (link below and on home page). Use that to add stabilizer. A CYA of 30 is minimum, but if you're getting the kind of sun/heat we are, you may need more like 40 or even 50 later. Which ever you chose, use the calculator to add stabilizer as follows:
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

For day 1, add enough regular bleach to increase FC to about 3 ppm. After that, once the stabilizer is all dissolved, increase FC to about 5 and I wouldn't let it go below 4 in this heat. Keep your pH in the mid-7s.

Definitely make the "proper" test kit a #1 priority. You do not want to guess with chemicals. I highly recommend the TF-100 (with Speed Stir). Great value and accurate results that will last this season and more. Great to have you with us. Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Welcome to TFP :wave:

Pool math can help you estimate the size in gallons of your pool. It's all the way towards the bottom.

You'll want to get CYA (aka stabilizer or conditioner) in your pool to target 30ppm is a good target. Then add chlorine, preferably liquid/plain bleach to target your FC for 30 CYA.

At that point, check PH and TA and report back with questions.

With the addition of CYA, assuming you are using granular, it is best to put it in an old sock and hang it in front of a return, or I tie one (or more if needed) to floating pool noodles. We advise this so you aren't distributing it onto your liner directly and it can be slow to dissolve unless you go out there and squeeze the sock a lot.

Someone will be along to answer your question about the gallons.

Do you have a test kit yet. If not, you will need one. http://www.tftestkits.com

If you just filled the pool, you don't yet have any CYA. According to poolmath, you have 13500 gallons. Lets start there. 54oz of CYA (stabilizer) will get you to 30ppm.

Then Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart , show that with CYA of 30, you should be at 2 to 4 ppm of FC. Then you can use pool math to determine how much bleach to add based on where you are at now.

So yes, I have a kit. The Taylor K2006. And okay, so, 54oz of CYA.....got it, I'll start there. Thanks!

I have tried using that poolmath chart, but ack, don't laugh.....I can't get the numbers to change. I'm not understanding how to get the correct numbers to show up. I'm kind of feeling silly because I'm guessing once I see how it works, I'll probably smack my forehead, but has anyone else felt confused about plugging numbers into that chart? Because when I hover, nothing changes. (I'm using a MAC, does that matter?)

So yes, I have a kit. The Taylor K2006. And okay, so, 54oz of CYA.....got it, I'll start there. Thanks!

I have tried using that poolmath chart, but ack, don't laugh.....I can't get the numbers to change. I'm not understanding how to get the correct numbers to show up. I'm kind of feeling silly because I'm guessing once I see how it works, I'll probably smack my forehead, but has anyone else felt confused about plugging numbers into that chart? Because when I hover, nothing changes. (I'm using a MAC, does that matter?)

Be sure that you input the right gallons. There is a button to click at the top that says calculate. I would not worry about the hover too much. It just shows the same value in another conversion such as cups vs oz.

^^ Agreed ^^ Definitely get used to the Poolmath calculator (link below and on home page). Use that to add stabilizer. A CYA of 30 is minimum, but if you're getting the kind of sun/heat we are, you may need more like 40 or even 50 later. Which ever you chose, use the calculator to add stabilizer as follows:

For day 1, add enough regular bleach to increase FC to about 3 ppm. After that, once the stabilizer is all dissolved, increase FC to about 5 and I wouldn't let it go below 4 in this heat. Keep your pH in the mid-7s.

Definitely make the "proper" test kit a #1 priority. You do not want to guess with chemicals. I highly recommend the TF-100 (with Speed Stir). Great value and accurate results that will last this season and more. Great to have you with us. Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Thanks so much.....I'm so impressed with all the help here! Really, thanks!

And okay, those are some good numbers to start with, especially seeing you live in a similar climate. I'll steal one of my kids' socks ASAP! ;)

And I have the Taylor K2006 test (I updated my signature). I'll test more numbers once I get everything in there....and check back in here if I have more questions.

Thanks again!

- - - Updated - - -

Be sure that you input the right gallons. There is a button to click at the top that says calculate. I would not worry about the hover too much. It just shows the same value in another conversion such as cups vs oz.

So, I put in 13,000 to start there and pressed calculate and this is all I see. There aren't numbers telling me how much of everything to put in. Am I missing something? (Can you guys even see that image? Is there a way to add a bigger file?)

Screen Shot 2016-07-15 at 6.59.06 PM.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I can see the image enough that I "think" you aren't plugging your "now" numbers in......as mentioned above. But be careful too........you may not need to make every adjustment reccomended by pool math just yet.......which is why I advised getting CYA in the pool first........good to follow Texas Splash advice on chlorine.

Then test PH and TA and post back questions.

Ashley -

You've come to the right place. Rather than provide advice let me provide reassurance. While all of this is a bit overwhelming to begin with it will make sense soon. And, the best part....if you are patient and trust what you hear....and PoolMath....this will get REALLY EASY! You'll save money on chemicals...have a pool you can trust to be safe...and be the ENVY of your friends and neighbors. Really...its that easy.

WARNING: After you get your own pool beautiful and clean you'll be a PITA to friends who invite you over for pool parties as you look skeptically at their pool....and hear their reassurance that "the pool guy takes care of it".

Have fun.

Randy

Ashley -

You've come to the right place. Rather than provide advice let me provide reassurance. While all of this is a bit overwhelming to begin with it will make sense soon. And, the best part....if you are patient and trust what you hear....and PoolMath....this will get REALLY EASY! You'll save money on chemicals...have a pool you can trust to be safe...and be the ENVY of your friends and neighbors. Really...its that easy.

WARNING: After you get your own pool beautiful and clean you'll be a PITA to friends who invite you over for pool parties as you look skeptically at their pool....and hear their reassurance that "the pool guy takes care of it".

Have fun.

Randy

HAHAHA --- I love the warning! I can hardly wait to be that PITA!!! ;)

And thanks for the fist bump...I'm already feeling better about it all!

Thanks everyone!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.