Hello! I already have problems!!! haha

I'm a 32 year old man with a wife and 3 year old daughter. renting a house. We got a pool for cheap at ocean state job lots. So far it's not too bad but can't seem to keep the ph high enough lately. The other issue is My total free chlorine is high but total chlorine is low. How is that possible? I have been using test strips...maybe I should buy an actual test kit with the drops...

What do you guys think?

Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here :)

If low pH is your issue, there's a good chance you're using pucks for chlorine. Liquid chlorine as your chlorine source will correct that, or you can raise your pH with washing soda or 20-Mule team borax.

Yes, a test kit will be a good investment, and will pay for itself quickly by enabling you to manage your pool without expensive pool store chemicals.

Here's a description of TFPC: TFPC for Beginners

And you can order the best test kit here: TFTestkits.net

:)

Most people, including myself, find this site specifically because they have problems. No worries! needsajet has you well in hand, I just wanted to chime in to say welcome and assure you that problems are what bring most folks here, and most of them stay because the advice here, if followed consistently and correctly, can make those problems go away. :)

Just realized I missed one question, and good that we have triptyx here as well! You asked about the test strip results. Unfortunately test strips are not reliable for testing water.

Just realized I missed one question, and good that we have triptyx here as well! You asked about the test strip results. Unfortunately test strips are not reliable for testing water.

Thank you very much for the advice/guidance. I appreciate the quick response(s). We tried a different strip that has some different results. it appears the chlorine level is pretty high now. about halfway to shock levels it seams. gonna leave the cover off over the weekend and see if that helps. and according to the other test strip the PH is fine now. Yes I am using tablets/pucks for chlorine but used a liquid shock as well. unfortunately the other test strips did not have a total chlorine level reading.

I will probably invest in a test kit.

- - - Updated - - -

cool. thanks for the Welcome!!

Check out all the reading material on the home pages. They will answer all of your questions and then some! I am a newbie as well and everything is clearly put together. Welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks Josun54!!

Check out all the reading material on the home pages. They will answer all of your questions and then some! I am a newbie as well and everything is clearly put together. Welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- - - Updated - - -

MY PH is good now but all of a sudden my water turned milky after the last PH treatment. I'm using a cheap PH I got from Ocean state Job lots too.

We're pretty much flying blind without reliable test numbers, and sorry, but results from guess-strips will be ignored.

If the cost of a TF100 is too much, you can try one of these cause it's better than strips, but you're just so much better off to put the $23 toward a TF100.
Hth 6 Way Test Kit - Walmart.com

This method may be helpful for you: Pool School - Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools

There's a website somewhere that lists the 100 reasons why a pool turns cloudy. If you say what the chemical is that you added, we might have a clue. When you add chemicals, provide the brand name, product name, amount added, and the chemical name if it's shown.

I suppose it sounds like marketing or sales or something, but I'm just plain sure of this: "Get a TF100 test kit and you will be happy with your pool and will save money."