Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Placement of Chlorine Tank

1. Back To Top    #1

Placement of Chlorine Tank

I'm considering a Stenner setup, but my pump pad sits in full sun most of the day. Any advice on how to keep the chlorine cool(er) and shielded from the sun?
    16,661 gal IG PebbleTec w/ Spa; 60 ft2 Jandy DE filter, 2 HP Jandy Variable Speed pump; 2 skimmer; 400K BTU Jandy heater; Polaris Sport; opened 9/15/14; TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Placement of Chlorine Tank

Add a cover or wall or bushes to provide shade to the entire pad.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I cut the bottom out of garbage can and put over the top. There is a thread about burying the tank to keep it cool
    8500 gallon IG Pebble Sheen with Spa. 3hp Pentair VS Intelliflo ( pool ), 3/4 hp WhisperFlo ( water feature ),Pentair Racer, 400K Pentair heater, Pentair 500sqft Cartridge filter, EasyTouch 8, Stenner 45mp2 15gallon wired to ET8

4. Back To Top    #4

I made a rustic cover out of pallets. I also partially buried the tank.
    16'x34' Kidney 17000 Gallon IG Vinyl liner. Pentair IntelliXF vs pump, Sta-Rite System 3 DE filter. Liquidator, TF-100 Test kit w/ speed stir. Aqua Comfort heat pump, Dolphin Apollo robot, clear solar cover, stamped concrete deck.

5. Back To Top    #5

I use a 5 gallon bucket as my tank. It is made of thick HDPE plastic. I buried it most of the way because I found that my concrete pad got so hot in the direct sun it was cooking my bleach in the bucket. My bucket is now still in direct sunlight all day with zero shade. Ive decided to use 8.25% bleach for it's longer stability, and I normally only put 2 gallons in my bucket at a time. I feed about a quart a day to my pool, so 2 gallons lasts me plenty long enough, and even in 100 degree heat, should stay close enough to 8.25% to keep me happy.

So my biggest piece of advice is do not set your container on the concrete pad. Providing shade is up to you.

17,500 gallon IG Vinyl
    Pentair Tagelus TA60D Sand filter
    Pentair Challenger 1.5HP pump CFII N1 1.5A
    Taylor K-2006-A, Stenner 45MPHP10 auto chlorine feed

6. Back To Top    #6

I too buried my 5 gal bucket about 3/4 into the ground beside my pad for this reason.
    I am thinking of getting a 55gal barrel of 12.5%, and doing the same thing.
    14600 gal Intex 24' Round 52" deep AG Pool (Heavily Modified)
    200lb sand filter w/2 speed 1.5/0.5hp pump
    Stenner 45MHP10 Liquid Chlorine (well... bleach) Injector. Borates added.
    K-2006 test kit w/Speedstir
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

7. Back To Top    #7

You will not use the barrel fast enough. The high strength bleach will lose a lot of potency before it is used up.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

8500 gallon IG Pebble Sheen with Spa. 3hp Pentair VS Intelliflo ( pool ), 3/4 hp WhisperFlo ( water feature ),Pentair Racer, 400K Pentair heater, Pentair 500sqft Cartridge filter, EasyTouch 8, Stenner 45mp2 15gallon wired to ET8

9. Back To Top    #9

I wrapped my bucket with one of these products when I first set up my stenner. I placed the bucket on my concrete pad, and on one 90 degree day I decided to stick a thermometer in there to see how hot the bleach was...and it was 98 degrees, hotter than the outside air.

So, no matter what you wrap the thing in, don't set it on the concrete pad (since your pad gets full sun and gets really hot, like mine did).

17,500 gallon IG Vinyl
    Pentair Tagelus TA60D Sand filter
    Pentair Challenger 1.5HP pump CFII N1 1.5A
    Taylor K-2006-A, Stenner 45MPHP10 auto chlorine feed