Low Alkalinity / PH

May 24, 2016
Fl
My AGP has been set up for a few weeks now and while I have been adding chlorine but I really haven't done much about the PH yet. My PH is extremely low at about 6.2 and my total Alkalinity is at 0. What steps do you recommend I take to get the PH up? I have a 14 x 42 Above Ground Intex Pool that holds about 3500 gallons.

Using pool math it says I need about 4LB of baking soda to raise my TA to 80. Then about 2LB of Soda ash to raise my PH.

Is it necessary to raise my TA before attempting to raise the PH? If so, how long must I wait before adding the Soda Ash after adding the Baking Soda to raise the TA?

If TA is really 0, then your pH is actually in the 4s.

Raise the TA up to 50ppm with baking soda. Then raise the pH into the 7s with borax (if it is not already in the 7s after the baking soda).

Add the baking soda, circulate for an hour, retest (TA and pH), readjust as needed until the TA reads something around 50 and then start adjusting the pH.

Reactions: JayH
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.