Solution for Brown Staining Streaks

Jul 15, 2016
Florida
I recently purchased a home with a ~30yr pebbletec (is what I'm told) finish. The CYA levels were through the roof so I immediately drained over half the pool and have it down to about 90ppm. I know I need to get this lower eventually. The chlorine is about 6ppm and PH around 7.6. The pool is filled with city water and covered by a large screen enclosure.

My current problem are large brown steaking stains that go from the shallow end down to the deep end of the pool towards the drain. They are significant in size (about 2-3ft x 15 length). I still need to try the absorbic acid test but brushing has no effect on it. Any other suggestion?

The pool was somewhat neglected by the previous owner, so it could easily be something that has been here for a while. My other solution is to have it acid washed come this winter.

Thanks
Dennis

2016-04-15 12.43.23.jpg2016-04-27 14.28.45.jpg

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

What are the rest of the test results? What kit are you using?

Are the stains rough? Could be calcium scaling and/or metal staining.

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile and pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Thanks.

They appear to be the same as the rest of the pool surface. It appears that the staining is into the pebbles/plaster but it's difficult to tell. I was told my CYA level was at 175ppm. Could that have resulted in any staining? The water is clear with some slight algae in some of the grout lines that I've been working out with a broken tablet. I have updated my signature, hopefully it shows in this reply.

Thanks. I will work on getting a proper test kit. I know this is against the site's recommendations, but I've been using two pool stores and their readings have come up pretty consistent. Believe it or not, the only thing they've been selling me so far is liquid chlorine, baking soda, and muriatic acid.

With that being said, I let some vitamin C tablets sit on the stain overnight. This morning I woke up to see the stain darken under the tablets to an almost black color. I also left a chlorine tablet on another spot overnight and that didn't seem to do anything (which leads me to believe it's metal). When I get home later I'll to brush it to see if the dark stain budges. However, is that consistent with what the vitamin C should do? I thought it should make the stain go away and not darken.

Thanks
Dennis

The brown aspect of the stain is now completely gone where the C tablets were. After brushing it has left behind some black staining that is more of a speckled appearance (probably because of the pebble pool finish). I guess my question at this point is how to exactly determine if the staining is a result of iron staining or copper. If it were copper would the vitamin C have been able to reduce it at all?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.