Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New build in Raleigh NC

1. Back To Top    #1

New build in Raleigh NC

This forum has been so helpful already! We are about to start the pool build we've been talking about for 4 years since we moved into this house. We're going with an inground, vinyl, freeform shape approx 36 by 23 with a gold pebble liner. The plan sheet the pb sent us looks like a Goldfish cracker so he is working on tweaking that to look less like a snack cracker and more like the 3 radius lagoon shape we prefer.

I'm hoping 36 long x 23(shallow end) x 15 ("deep" end) wide will be large enough. My husband just wants to be able to do a few laps. I want enough room so that the pool floats don't cover the entire surface and am worried about size. Hopefully the pb has a good solution that will work with the existing patio, slope, and set backs.

This is the pool outline with pool towels as floats to help gauge size.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New build in Raleigh NC

Should be very nice. Welcome to TFP!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

The other side of the yard. The stone, plants, overall design will be carried over behind the pool. We cannot build anything on the mulched space shown above because it is HOA property that they have allowed us to encroach upon, but we can fence it along with the rest of our lot which is .44 acres. We're now leaning toward a less freeform pool so we have more surface area on the pool. Current proposal has us at about 630 sq ft.

Fire pit area we dug into the hill at the pool end of the waterfall.

Pool will be to the left of the trees in this picture

4. Back To Top    #4

Very nice yard!

Free form is great but a more rectangular pool is easier to cover and opens up the possibility of getting a auto cover.

Quote Originally Posted by ponygirl View Post
    HOA property that they have allowed us to encroach upon
    That's great - i've never heard of a friendly HOA before.

5. Back To Top    #5

You will love having a pool! I think you need to make it bigger towards the house side.

I would get some bright yellow rope and use that with some poles to move it until you get the size and shape you want.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

PB is coming out tomorrow to go over other options. The one we've gravitated toward is a 24x40 or 22x38 celebrity shape. I just spent a bunch of time in my friends above ground 18 x 36 this week and it has helped get a good feeling for square surface area. We're limited somewhat on width toward the back end of the yard due to the building envelope angle and a pretty decent size slope. And now we know we're going to have to take down a cluster of much loved tulip poplars, but we will still clearly have enough trees. The one downside with the celebrity shape is the shallow end would be the side away from the house, but we can make that work. Just changes up our decking plans. Living with the goldfish/lagoon shape sprayed in the yard for 3 weeks has helped us realize, it is too small for us.

7. Back To Top    #7

I'd go with the bigger one. Ours is 40' long and I can't imagine having anything shorter for doing any laps.
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

8. Back To Top    #8

Nice to know NOW rather than after the dig! I can't wait to see what he comes up with!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

24x40 is a good size ponygirl

Quote Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post
    Ours is 40' long and I can't imagine having anything shorter for doing any laps.

We decided on 45' specifically for laps. Although my wife says even that will be too small.

If she had it her way, we would put in a olympic length pool

10. Back To Top    #10

We decided on a 42x30x20 lagoon shaped pool. We'll have to build the ground around the pool up on one side to accommodate the slight slope, but we'll get the size we wanted. Pool shell has been ordered so we should have some digging in a couple weeks. 42 feet is pushing the length I am comfortable putting in, but my husband is very happy. We're already losing the clump of tulip poplars I love so much, but having sun on the pool to warm it up and less tree litter in the pool is more of a priority. After going over pool liners, I'm leaning more toward a gray liner instead of the gold pebble.

I don't know if you can make out the orange outline of the new size. The brownish white outline is the old size.

11. Back To Top    #11

I love the new size! Well done!

12. Back To Top    #12

Digging begins tomorrow and we're so excited! If all goes well we'll be swimming in about a month. We're still undecided on decking and will forego deciding on that for a couple months giving the ground a good amount of time to settle. We are going to do a Pennsylvania blue stone waterfall behind the pool with 3 spillways. We reached a new rock addiction level of actually ordering the stone from PA since they didn't have what we wanted in the local yard. There's about 35,000 pounds of rock being delivered in a couple weeks.

Inspiration photo

Scale model of stones and pool I made to make sure it would work with our pool shape

Even the backside should be pretty. The plan is to put hammocks behind the pool.

Our rocks. The 3 pallets on the far left, first one in the center and the first two on the far right.

and all of these guys

And 450 linear feet of 5 foot, heavy, black aluminum fencing should be installed in about a month, as well.
    42x31x20 lagoon shape, vinyl, inground pool. Approx 27,000 gallons. 3.5' to 5.5' depth. Latham natural gray liner, Pentair Tagelus fiberglass sand filter, Pentair Intelliflo pump, auto SWG, 3 LED intellibrite lights. Construction beginning Aug 11, 2016. K-2006C test kit.

13. Back To Top    #13

WOWER! I LOVE the inspiration pool/waterfall!

What a neat idea to do the mock up! You need to make a diorama out of it to keep forever!

So tell us how you came to find THE rocks you wanted in PA. Did you go up there to pick them out? How will they get down to you? How will they get to your back yard???? I love the ones you picked out!

14. Back To Top    #14

Thanks! They had 3 PA stones in the stone yard about 3 weeks ago that we loved so they ordered more for us. They arrived in Raleigh today and will be delivered by forklift to the backyard in a couple weeks. We found a landscaper with the equipment needed to lift the stones into place so he'll get that done Sept/Oct once the pool is finished. One side yard is flat for about 25 feet so we fortunately have plenty of equipment access.
    42x31x20 lagoon shape, vinyl, inground pool. Approx 27,000 gallons. 3.5' to 5.5' depth. Latham natural gray liner, Pentair Tagelus fiberglass sand filter, Pentair Intelliflo pump, auto SWG, 3 LED intellibrite lights. Construction beginning Aug 11, 2016. K-2006C test kit.

15. Back To Top    #15

Okay! Here I was thinking you made a road trip to see some pretty rocks and pick them out! I don't know anyone *cough me cough* that would do anything like that LOL

16. Back To Top    #16

Every time we go to the mountains my husband drools over stones he sees in the yards up there. I won't let him stop even just to "check it out". We were lucky the stone yard had those 3 stones in stock or we may have gone a whole different direction. I saw the rocks, then the photo, made the model and it all came together. Our neighbors must think we're nuts. Can't wait to see the next truck pull up with 12 pallets of stone on them.

17. Back To Top    #17

They started the day by marking the shape about 10:30 this morning. The excavator was here by noon and got started digging! We are very excited!

Placing some of the sides to make the assembly job easier tomorrow.

Happy husband!

Time to order the test kit!

18. Back To Top    #18

View from above

19. Back To Top    #19

SWEET!

cute on the happy hubby!

20. Back To Top    #20

We really didn't realize just how sloped our yard was until they assembled the shell this morning. This pool is probably 70% out of the ground. So we're bringing in 8 or so truckloads of gravel for backfill to encourage good drainage in this awful clay and will use the excavated dirt for leveling the yard behind the pool. This is much more involved than I thought it would be! I can't wait for Wednesday when they do backfill so we can get a better idea for how to finish off the yard. We are very, very happy we haven't committed to any patio plans as this threw a wrench into what we were thinking! We went into this knowing we'd have some settling and were going to give the ground until after the first of the year before we laid concrete. Now the shape of the patio is changing drastically. At least we'll have nice compacted gravel to build on so the concrete is less likely to crack. Trying to look at the positives otherwise I'll drive myself crazy! Plumbing comes Monday and Tuesday if they need more time.

Bobcat navigating the "roller coaster" of fill dirt. The kids really wanted to take a ride. It did look fun!

One of the cats supervising from afar.

The beginning of laying the concrete

Today's progress

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast