Concrete Block Pool w/ Liner Question

May 13, 2016
Rushville, IL
Hi,

Looking for some knowledge on fastening liner track to concrete block. For those of you that have done this......How did you fasten your track. We bought this horizontal track that will be covered by a cap stone to hide it.

hm2.jpg

Thank you - Brook

Last edited:
I plan on just using self-tapping cement screws every 6" or so.

You could do the same, if the blocks are filled with cement you can drive the screws down vertically to secure your track to the top.

Like this:
image038.jpg

But into your concrete instead of the pool panels pictured.

I ran treated 2x6 around the top of my block, fastened that to the block with some all thread rod I had embedded every 6 feet in the block cores - similar to the sill plate of a house. I then screwed the coping into the 2x6. I figure the treated 2x6 should last 20 years, it isn't sitting in water (or exposed to the sun) so it likely will last longer.

Mine was a little bit different. My idea was to protect the liner from UV rays so I put it underwater. This also allowed me to put ceramic tile above the liner track so I ended up with the waterline halfway on the ceramic tile and then the liner underneath the tile.

After 10 years, the vinyl is supple as if new. There was very little I found wrong with doing this and I would certainly build the same thing again.

linertrack.jpg
I used glue and tapcon's to set the track. The liner was designed with a bead to fit that track so it simply snapped into place. It was tedious as I could only do about 6" at a time but it has never come out except for a tiny corner of the vinyl covered steps which I mis-measured.

So, I am not sure what I did is applicable as the track I used would not have worked at the top of the pool wall

Dave, I had no idea that was even possible.... how were you able to seal the liner from taking in water and floating?

also can you post a pic or url to your finished pool? I've only seen the photo with leaves in it.

The liner track was really never intended to be completely waterproof.

The concrete pool wall had a french drain all around the bottom perimeter and the backfill was 1" rock. As water runs behind the liner (There is VERY little water) it quickly runs down to the bottom of the pool floor where it passes quickly to the outside of the wall and out the French Drain. So, there is literally never any water behind the liner.....it drains off.

The track was secured after the blocks were filled but I am sure it could have been done either way.
poolcomplete.JPG

Brilliant!! Never thought about the french drain.

In my thinking (no expert btw) I would have assumed the water level
would be difficult to maintain but that doesn't appear to be an issue
with the liner/track you have.

Very nice pool too! especially the decking.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.