Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another snake oil fix for the lazy pool owner

1. Back To Top    #1

Another snake oil fix for the lazy pool owner

I wonder how many suckers will sign up for this service?

Smart Pool Monitoring System | Simplify Pool Care | pHin

I wonder what is in those "pods"? I did not see anything about PH sensor calibration. Makes you wonder!
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Another snake oil fix for the lazy pool owner

Not me, but they're hitting my FB feed pretty hard.
    IG Vinyl 18x36 28500 Gallon SWG Taylor K2006 Test Kit
    380 Gallon Master Spa Chlorine for sanitizer

3. Back To Top    #3

LOL the red check boxes for:
    Buying and using test kits
    Manual testing weekly
    Driving to pickup chemicals

Like that's such an inconvenience.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

4. Back To Top    #4

They were a Kickstarter last year IIRC, but it was discussed at length: pool monitor

It really gets going about this product on page 2
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

a few varieties of dichlor, trichlor, algaecide, pH down, pH up (sodium carbonate), sodium bromide, metal sequestrant...

It's pretty much like a pool store linked directly to your phone. Poor testing, poor canned advice... You thought going to the pool store was frustrating, now the pool store has come to you! You've let it in your house!
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

6. Back To Top    #6

Tim,

Thanks for the link.

Dave
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

7. Back To Top    #7

Hoaky how each time I've seen their website it says pre order..AND..their still testing for $449 yr? No thanks, I'll stick w my test kit and TFP....
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

8. Back To Top    #8

I've totally posted a link to TFP and TF-100 on the FB ads they put out!
    16,661 gal IG PebbleTec w/ Spa; 60 ft2 Jandy DE filter, 2 HP Jandy Variable Speed pump; 2 skimmer; 400K BTU Jandy heater; Polaris Sport; opened 9/15/14; TF-100 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Let me first say that i have no dog in this race, i don't offer a service of this sort, and purely see it as competition to all the "pool guys" out there that are charging whatever % more than what this service is per month (about $42.00/mo).
    I'm assuming that all of you guys that are bagging on this are purely speculating as to the worth of this service since none of you have posted that you have actually tried this service, and have found it to be as bad as you are all implying...
    Not very giving of the benefit of the doubt guys... Maybe we should wait for some feedback before passing judgement to see if this is as bad, and/or comical, as it is presenting itself?

I don't know about ya'll, but i would rather have daily monitoring as opposed to a single weekly test done by the pool guy. How about you? (This is directed to those of you who use a weekly service) I understand that you DIY'ers may get chuckle from this being all Troublefreepool trained and all. I would bet, that this service may have some worth to those of you that use a weekly service, and have become frustrated with it. Not that you couldn't take care of it yourself, but your schedule just wont allow it right now.

Quote Originally Posted by borjis View Post
    LOL the red check boxes for:
    Buying and using test kits
    Manual testing weekly
    Driving to pickup chemicals

Like that's such an inconvenience.
    ...you'd be surprised in my area. I find that alot of customers would rather use the test strips knowing that they weren't as accurate as the drop test solely because they are easier, or rather quicker to use.

I also read alot of posts here about how people can't get any factory warranty because they live in rural areas. I wonder if the same goes for going and fetching chems when needed? Seems like that service alone may be worth something, especially if it is included in the charge.

I don't know...

Like i said, weekly pool service is not my department. But i do hear quite a bit of feedback with regard to this subject, most of it being frustration from the customer.

Just having this new service out there, for better, or worse, may be enough to sir a bit more customer service into the pool guy, and perhaps save some of his clients.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

10. Back To Top    #10

I can totally see pool owners getting into this. With things like Amazon Dash, Harry's Shave and other subscription/concierge based services taking off, they'll get a customer base for sure.

Heck, I have several neighbor's with pools that would likely jump on something like this. They all think I'm an idiot for working on my pool the way I do. One neighbor actually "felt bad for me" and sent over his pool guy (without asking me first) to try to sell me on his service. The guy was like, "I was told you needed help with your pool, I'm really affordable and I can give you a discount for the first few months, etc., etc..." I was polite about it with the guy and declined. My neighbor was all annoyed at me but that's because I figured he lost out on some kind of "refer a friend" price reduction.

So yeah, there is definitely a market for something like this.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

11. Back To Top    #11

Agreed, some will no doubt go for this....good for them i say.

For some a pool is an inconvenience for taking care of it...easier the better for them.

This product is not for me, taking care of my pool is like brushing my teeth in the morning or taking care of my yard and home.
    It's just something I do and don't question it or try to make maintenance any more convenient than it already is.

I get everything at the grocery store, food for the pool and then my groceries.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    I can totally see pool owners getting into this. With things like Amazon Dash, Harry's Shave and other subscription/concierge based services taking off, they'll get a customer base for sure.

Heck, I have several neighbor's with pools that would likely jump on something like this. They all think I'm an idiot for working on my pool the way I do. One neighbor actually "felt bad for me" and sent over his pool guy (without asking me first) to try to sell me on his service. The guy was like, "I was told you needed help with your pool, I'm really affordable and I can give you a discount for the first few months, etc., etc..." I was polite about it with the guy and declined. My neighbor was all annoyed at me but that's because I figured he lost out on some kind of "refer a friend" price reduction.

So yeah, there is definitely a market for something like this.
    First - Harry's blades are LOUSY. Been there, done that. Do you (insert generic person - not you personally) brush your teeth everyday? If you do, checking pool chemistry takes no longer. If it does, you're doing something wrong. Once you get your pool balanced (and I'm in FL) I spend MAYBE 30 mins/week on my pool, that includes brushing, adding chlorine every couple days (don't have SWG) and acid 1-2 times a week. When you let it get away from you, yes, you will have problems and it will consume a few hours for a week or 2 to bring it back to balance. The key is to test Cl and pH EVERYDAY. IMHO.
    16K gal, IG Free-Form Plaster (1986), 1 HP Pentair Superflo pump, PAC FAB FNS-36 DE Filter, Polaris 280, Screened, Cool Deck.
    Solar Heater
    TF-100 Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

Oooohhh!! Wouldn't it be hilarious for a TFP pool owner to get one of these and then see how far off it all goes?? We all take care of our pools pretty well but it would be interesting to see just how far off their recommendations are and document how the chemical levels in the pool would change by adding all of their stuff. It wouldn't be added of course, just catalogued and compared with the basic chemicals we normally use to solve problems.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

14. Back To Top    #14

I'm a new pool owner, and so glad I found TFP near the very beginning of our pool build. TFPC works, and it's easy! PoolMath works! Why fix it if it ain't broke?

My extended family taught me for years "don't even think about getting a pool; they're nothing but Trouble." Well my wife and I now have a Trouble Free Pool.
    Chas & Cheryl (first-time, second-year pool owners)
    Radiant Metric Oval AGP 16'x32'x52"; Pentair: Clean&Clear 150 Cartridge, OptiFlo 1.5 Hp 2-spd, and 320C Feeder (all mounted below water level); Taylor K-2006 & SpeedStir; Maytronics Dolphin E10 (aka Einstein)
    installation pics (2015-2016)

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

Interesting pricing $499 flat rate per year for pool you would think they would have a tiered price starting at 10,000 gallons and increasing every 5,000 gallons or so. $399 for hot tub, and $798 for both. Not fair for those with small pool huge win for those with large pools. I am guessing the company is targeting a higher end consumer and they decided simplicity would be more important to them than price per gallon treated.

Sooner or later we will get someone with one on here, can't wait to hear how well it works or not.

Even if it works perfectly for the price I am not giving up my stenners.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by atttech-2 View Post
    Interesting pricing $499 flat rate per year for pool you would think they would have a tiered price starting at 10,000 gallons and increasing every 5,000 gallons or so. $399 for hot tub, and $798 for both. Not fair for those with small pool huge win for those with large pools. I am guessing the company is targeting a higher end consumer and they decided simplicity would be more important to them than price per gallon treated.

Sooner or later we will get someone with one on here, can't wait to hear how well it works or not.

Even if it works perfectly for the price I am not giving up my stenners.
    I read the fine print - that's the BASE price for NORMAL chemical consumption. Someone please tell me what is NORMAL chemical consumption. There will be additional charges if your go beyond their BASE parameters for their "packets". Everything is an up-charge. I can see this easily going to way north of $1K/year or even double that for those 30K pools in FL, AZ, TX, CA, etc.
    16K gal, IG Free-Form Plaster (1986), 1 HP Pentair Superflo pump, PAC FAB FNS-36 DE Filter, Polaris 280, Screened, Cool Deck.
    Solar Heater
    TF-100 Test Kit

17. Back To Top    #17

I have owned some electronic devices that measure ORP, Ph, etc. and it had to be calibrated every 30 days. I paid $250 for it and sold it on Ebay for $20.00 a few years ago. I am in the tech industry but when it comes to my pool, I will take my TFP100 any day over any electronic device.

18. Back To Top    #18

I have considered starting a pool service in my area using TFP techniques. As easy as it is to maintain one after a pool has been properly set up, it should be a money maker. Charge a base price based upon the size of the pool, dose with CYA, borates and get it in balance. After that, other than hurricanes and weekend long pool parties, it shouldn't be too hard.
    16X32 AB, Pentair SD filter, 3/4hp Pentair Optiflo, CircuPool RJ30+ swg, TF 100

19. Back To Top    #19

Sure, I'll admit it I am a lazy pool owner,, but I don't use snake oil
    In-ground block / vinyl liner 33' x 22' x 5',, approx 25k gals
    Cartridge Filter
    Floor drains, 2 skimmers, 3 return lines (2" plumbing ultra-flex PVC)

20. Back To Top    #20

Hey dw9000: Then what do you use to oil your snake???? LOL!
    16X32 AB, Pentair SD filter, 3/4hp Pentair Optiflo, CircuPool RJ30+ swg, TF 100

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast