Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Before setting up my first pool ever...

1. Back To Top    #1

Before setting up my first pool ever...

First off - hello and thanks for this great resource! I'm brand new to pools and never done ANY chemistry. With that said I've already read up on POOL SCHOOL and most of the Table of Contents. Great info.

Before I can get to testing, I need a little assistance with recommendations:

1. Before I setup the pool in signature, I'm wanting to know if the stock Intex pump and filter will be sufficient or if I should upgrade BEFORE I even start. If so, what would be a sufficient sized, reasonably priced choice?

2. I'm convinced a SWG is what I want. Which one? I assume an Intex.

3. Any other recommendations?

4. Which test kit? I saw the 4 recommended ones, but for my setup which is best? Leaning towards the TFTestkits
    TF-100.

Thanks in advance! Casey

4,440 Gal; AG Intex 15' x 48" Ultra Frame; stock pump/filter
    TF-100 Test kit; SpeedStir Magnetic Stirrer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Before setting up my first pool ever...

Intex model is 28343eh if that makes a difference. Pump appears to be Krystal Klear 637R.

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you!

Is this an existing pool or are you building new? If it is existing and the equipment is working, I wouldn't mess with it. You can upgrade down the road. No need to make your learning curve harder just for the sake of upgrading.

I calculate your pool volume to be 5300 gallons, not 4440. But that's assuming 48" is the actual water depth. If the water level is actually 42", it would be 4650 gallons.

I would recommend the TF-100 test kit and get the Speedstir with it. Makes mixing reagents a breeze!
    26k Gal IG vinyl, Hayward Super 1HP, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, TFTestkits TF-100 w/ Speedstir
    Links: TFPC for Beginners / ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry / GETTING STARTED / PoolMath / SLAM / TFTestkits / Chlorine/CYA Chart

4. Back To Top    #4

New pool still in the box. Walls are 48" but info at store said water depth of 40" and 4,440 gallons. That's what I based my numbers off of.
    I have been trying to search stuff on here as I go and came across the speedstir on previous post. I'll be getting that and to-100 from a member on here, duraleigh I think.
    What about wall brush and nets for leafs and for bugs?
    thanks!

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP! Nice job doing your homework!

Here is some more
    ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    Pool School - Getting Started
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

You'll definitely need a nice extension pole and brush and skimmer net/leaf rake and vacuum. If the pool doesn't come with any of that, you can pick them up anywhere pool supplies are sold.

Edit: Also, I believe they sell some of the cleaning accessories on TFTestkits.net as well.
    26k Gal IG vinyl, Hayward Super 1HP, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, TFTestkits TF-100 w/ Speedstir
    Links: TFPC for Beginners / ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry / GETTING STARTED / PoolMath / SLAM / TFTestkits / Chlorine/CYA Chart

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks JesseSchmidt! That's the kinda info I was looking for - ordered a 18" wall brush, leaf net, and TF-100 kit today. Thanks everyone. Anything else?