Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help please

1. Back To Top    #1

Help please

Hey.

due to chlorine consumption I assumed I had algae (hard to tell as I have a black-bottomed spa).

it's an 1100 gallon spa with vanishing edge and overflow basin (300 gallon).

current measurements are

CYA 40
    shock FC 16
    Combined 1.0
    All other levels are balanced
    I'm losing 9 FC overnight even though the water is sparkling clear. Any thoughts on what's going on?

thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help please

Your CC is over 0.5 and if you are losing 9ppm FC, you definitely have something going on. If it were a pool, I'd say brush the walls and SLAM it. However I think there are different guidelines for spas. In terms of SLAM levels, maintaining 16ppm FC only takes between 2-3 cups, depending on strength of your chlorinating liquid.
    Chris
    17' x 35' outdoor in-ground Grecian shaped w/ vinyl liner. ≈ 21,000 gallons. Hayward S-200 Sand Filter and 1 HP Hayward Super-pump. Other Accessories: slide, light, ladder, fiberglass stairs, TF-100. Baquacil Conversion - June 2015, SLAM How-to, Chlorine/CYA Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

I had clear water but was losing a bunch of FC each day, just like you were. Happened just this week.

You mention all other levels are balanced, so I'll assume the pH is not over 7.8 ish. I say that because this week my pool had no FC in it, added more than enough, next day, same problem. My pH was 8.2, high pH reduces effectiveness of FC. I thought I had algae, but correcting pH back to 7.2 - 7.4 allowed my FC to hold.

I will agree with above poster, 1.0CC means that chlorine is chewing on something...

Are your results derived from one of the test kits we use here? Those results can be trusted, strips not so much. Pool store testing is sometimes good, sometimes not. I basically just trust my kit to get me the info I need.
    Lee Mims - Orange, TX, 25400 gallon In-Ground Plaster Pool
    Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward Chlorine Feeder, Century 1081 2-Speed Pool & Spa Pump, Hayward H350FDN (350k BTU) Natural Gas Water Heater, Paramount O3 Ozone, Hayward Super II Pump for Waterfall, Aqualink RS System w/ Remote (Jandy), Taylor K-2006 Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by fajitas21 View Post
    I had clear water but was losing a bunch of FC each day, just like you were. Happened just this week.

You mention all other levels are balanced, so I'll assume the pH is not over 7.8 ish. I say that because this week my pool had no FC in it, added more than enough, next day, same problem. My pH was 8.2, high pH reduces effectiveness of FC. I thought I had algae, but correcting pH back to 7.2 - 7.4 allowed my FC to hold.

I will agree with above poster, 1.0CC means that chlorine is chewing on something...

Are your results derived from one of the test kits we use here? Those results can be trusted, strips not so much. Pool store testing is sometimes good, sometimes not. I basically just trust my kit to get me the info I need.

Yup. I'm using the taylor kit. PH was 7.1-7.2 when I started slamming last sunday.