Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: how much clorox to add

1. Back To Top    #1

how much clorox to add

I need to know how much liquid chlorine (Clorox) to add to raise my 8200 -8500 gal round above ground pool from FC of 1 to 2. I have the floating pucks. they don't seem to be doing the trick. That reading is from a test strip (HTH) with a count of "one tennessee, two...etc". I will be ordering a Taylor test kit from Amazon in the near future, but for this time it is what it is. I do have questions about the taylor kit as well but one problem at a time. By the by, my name is Kenny.
    18 ft Megna Above Ground Pool, Blue Torrent S-300 sand filter w/ 1 hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: how much clorox to add

13 or 14 ounces of 8.25%. Why from 1 to 2 may I ask? Any CYA at all in there? Welcome.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Actually i want to go to 3 but i wanted to see the graduation. So 13 - 14 oz will raise my pool 1 pt on fc. While i got your attention my PH was between 6.8 and 7.2. My TA was between 40 and 80. My CYA was 30 - 50. I haven't ever used liquid chlorine or borax or baking soda. I've only had the pool for about 3 weeks. I took a water sample to the local pool store. They prescribed a shopping list of their chemicals and 85 dollars and two days later the levels were fine.

4. Back To Top    #4

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart Stay within the guidelines of that for your FC. Pretty big gap between 30 and 50 CYA. I'd err on the high side. I assume you've raised your PH.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

Kenny
    Welcome. I'm fairly new also, so I'm hoping to save you some time. Suggest you
    1) stop going to the pool store. Their tests aren't reliable and their stuff is not needed and expensive
    2) Head to the links in my signature...read...read...read.
    3) buy a test kit, like the TF100 and post results.
    4) use liquid bleach. I get mine at Walmart, the 10% pool bleach. but any non scented, plain old laundry bleach works. How much to add? use the POOL MATH in my signature.
    then everyone can help you more easily.
    Pool installed 8/2015. 30' round Radiant pool. 21,000 gallons. 200# sand. Hayward Vari flow XL valve. 1.5hp Hayward Power-Flo Matrix running 10 hours/day in two periods. TF100 with speed stir. Sun all day, south side of house
    Order test kit TF-100 w/ Speed Stir and then Poolmath Calculator --- RECOMMENDED LEVELS --- POOL SCHOOL --- Algae? --- Chlorine/CYA CHART.

6. Back To Top    #6

Bookmark this site on every one of your mobile devices and computers (as applicable). Enter your pool volume in gallons, and get friendly with the functionality.
    Chris
    17' x 35' outdoor in-ground Grecian shaped w/ vinyl liner. ≈ 21,000 gallons. Hayward S-200 Sand Filter and 1 HP Hayward Super-pump. Other Accessories: slide, light, ladder, fiberglass stairs, TF-100. Baquacil Conversion - June 2015, SLAM How-to, Chlorine/CYA Chart

7. Back To Top    #7

OK, since i have a grand son who's anxious to go swimming, how long to wait after adding 3 cups of clorox to pool? Do i add it to skimmer or pool?

8. Back To Top    #8

Slowly pour it into the pool in front of a return with the pump running. From what everyone has said, you should be good to go in 15-30 minutes.
    TF-100 kit, SpeedStir, Sample Sizer. Still in early stages of pool planning

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by brims View Post
    Slowly pour it into the pool in front of a return with the pump running. From what everyone has said, you should be good to go in 15-30 minutes.
    That's how long it takes to mix for an accurate reading with a quality test kit. I'd be comfortable with swimming in newly chlorinated water in as soon as 10 minutes.
    Chris
    17' x 35' outdoor in-ground Grecian shaped w/ vinyl liner. ≈ 21,000 gallons. Hayward S-200 Sand Filter and 1 HP Hayward Super-pump. Other Accessories: slide, light, ladder, fiberglass stairs, TF-100. Baquacil Conversion - June 2015, SLAM How-to, Chlorine/CYA Chart

10. Back To Top    #10

shoot, I've poured bleach in and jumped in immediately (though not directly into the spot that I poured the bleach)

17,500 gallon IG Vinyl
    Pentair Tagelus TA60D Sand filter
    Pentair Challenger 1.5HP pump CFII N1 1.5A
    Taylor K-2006-A, Stenner 45MPHP10 auto chlorine feed

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by camueller View Post
    shoot, I've poured bleach in and jumped in immediately (though not directly into the spot that I poured the bleach)
    I did that just the other evening when my 3 year old threw some rocks into the deep end after I had just put 1/2 gallon in front of the two deep end returns. Maybe 5 minutes between the pour and getting in.
    26k Gal IG vinyl, Hayward Super 1HP, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, TFTestkits TF-100 w/ Speedstir
    Links: TFPC for Beginners / ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry / GETTING STARTED / PoolMath / SLAM / TFTestkits / Chlorine/CYA Chart

12. Back To Top    #12

I ordered a Taylor 2006 kit. It should be here by the middle of the week. In the mean time I keep whittling away at the ph and fc with test strips. (HTH) At the present the fc is between 3 and 4 ppm and the ph is between 7.2 and 7.5. I guess my next question is what to do with the floating pucks. (Trichor) My CYAN is +- 50. My TA is +-80.

13. Back To Top    #13

slowly?
    yeah, half gallon in 15 seconds.
    Pool installed 8/2015. 30' round Radiant pool. 21,000 gallons. 200# sand. Hayward Vari flow XL valve. 1.5hp Hayward Power-Flo Matrix running 10 hours/day in two periods. TF100 with speed stir. Sun all day, south side of house
    Order test kit TF-100 w/ Speed Stir and then Poolmath Calculator --- RECOMMENDED LEVELS --- POOL SCHOOL --- Algae? --- Chlorine/CYA CHART.