Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sudden high copper levels

1. Back To Top    #1

Sudden high copper levels

Hi,

For the past 2 months I have had very high copper levels in my pool. I've owned the pool for 4 years and never had this problem before. My ph usually stays very balanced but after returning from vacation for 5 days I tested it and it was pretty low. I read that low ph can eat away at copper pipes. It wasn't low for very long. If some copper did get into the water from the pipes, shouldn't it be dissipated by now after the ph has been balanced for almost 2 months? Any suggestions? I'm getting some staining.
    30x16 in ground plaster
    15000 gallons
    IntelliPro VS 350 pump

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Sudden high copper levels

Do you use algaecides, also? They can be a source of copper.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Copper doesn't leave the water. Once it's there it's going to stay unless you remove and replace water or the copper deposits on something like the pool surface.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

Briwink, welcome. Do you have a heater? And how old is it if so? If its one of the types with copper heat exchanger, you might want to inspect it for corrosion.
    How high is the copper reading?

What do you use to test your water, and what kind of water care regime do you follow? Using a FAS-dpd style test kit (tft100 or Taylor k2006, both avail at http://www.tftestkits.com ) and using the FC/CYA Chart parameters will help keep your balance dialed in, and using Pool Math to figure out your CSI will help you keep your water from being too aggressive going forward.

If the copper level is too high, you may wish to do a partial drain to dilute, and then follow up with metal sequestrant.
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

5. Back To Top    #5

+1 to copper heater or copper plumbing being eroded by low PH as the source of copper. PH at 7.0 or lower will dissolve copper into the water.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for your reply. I have a solar roof heater that uses only PVC and vinyl tubing. I think that the small pipe going into the pool might be copper though. I will try a sequestering agent.

The copper staining is only a few spots currently. I have read that vitamin C or Mikes Magic copper stain remover work well but it looks like I'd have to drain my pool first to use it and living in drought challenged California, draining an entire pool to eliminate some copper staining wouldn't make sense. There is a tool with a soft abrasive head that supposedly removes stains from a plaster pool. Would gently rubbing the stains out cause damage to the plaster?

thanks
    30x16 in ground plaster
    15000 gallons
    IntelliPro VS 350 pump

7. Back To Top    #7

You can rub Vit C tablets on the stains with no risk to plaster damage. Or you can crush up a bunch of them, put them in a sock or knee high and rub the stain. Or you can do an ascorbic acid treatment which does not require draining.

More here, Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains
    And here, Ascorbic Treatment to rid Pool of metal stains
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach