Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Relationship between CYA and pH

1. Back To Top    #1

Relationship between CYA and pH

I have a 10,000 gal in-ground vinyl pool. Current CYA is 55-60 which I know you say is high. Pool supply company - decent folks who don't try to sell me things - think this level is ok. What concerns me is each week I need to add a pint of acid in order to lower pH to correct level. Am not using a stabilizer, last year had an issue with super high CYA and "pink bloom" algae. I can drain some of the pool but don't want to waste the water unless necessary.
    Current chlorine demand is 2 gal per week liquid chlorine.
    So question is does CYA affect pH? Ie is need for continuous addition of acid due to current level of CYA?
    Appreciate all suggestions and information.
    Novastar

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Relationship between CYA and pH

Welcome to TFP

You CYA has nothing to do with PH, it can when you first put in CYA, it may drop you PH a little... congrats on lowering your CYA

PH rises from, waterfalls, returns hitting the top of the water and creating ripples, raised spa's, SWG's... anytime air can get into your water and break the surface can raise PH.. If you bring your TA down it will help you PH not raise as fast..

Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

I hope this helps
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Novastar View Post
    I have a 10,000 gal in-ground vinyl pool. Current CYA is 55-60 which I know you say is high. Pool supply company - decent folks who don't try to sell me things - think this level is ok. What concerns me is each week I need to add a pint of acid in order to lower pH to correct level. Am not using a stabilizer, last year had an issue with super high CYA and "pink bloom" algae. I can drain some of the pool but don't want to waste the water unless necessary.
    Current chlorine demand is 2 gal per week liquid chlorine.
    So question is does CYA affect pH? Ie is need for continuous addition of acid due to current level of CYA?
    Appreciate all suggestions and information.
    Welcome!
    How do you test the water, and how often?

How do you normally chlorinate, and what is your daily FC target?

A CYA level of 60 may not be all that high if your pool is in direct sun all day long.

For a CYA of 60ppm your FC target is 7ppm, and the minimum you should ever let it go is 5ppm.

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Two gallons of 10% chlorine will add 20ppm, or about 2.85ppm average per day for 7 days, not bad at all for a pool that is being used often and left uncovered.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Not sure how to lower total alkalinity. But perhaps I have a partial answer - my backyard sprinklers hit the pool water whenever they go on.. Wonder if this may be it.
    Novastar

5. Back To Top    #5

I test about every 3 days. As I responded to other "helper" not sure how to test for FC. Or how I figure out ppm.
    I use the simple little Poolmaster 5 way test kit. With the water ampler and drops of solution. Maybe I need a different kit?
    Thanks so much, look forward to more education.
    Novastar

6. Back To Top    #6

Sounds like you need to invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

I'll check them out. Thanks.
    Novastar

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Novastar View Post
    I test about every 3 days. As I responded to other "helper" not sure how to test for FC. Or how I figure out ppm.
    I use the simple little Poolmaster 5 way test kit. With the water ampler and drops of solution. Maybe I need a different kit?
    Thanks so much, look forward to more education.
    Have a read here:
    Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

and here:
    Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

and here:
    Pool School - PoolMath

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!