Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: The green monster....

1. Back To Top    #1

The green monster....

Tested the cya and FC this eve after receiving my tf-100 today (lightning quick shipment). Both were at 0 and the pool is green. Question is do I need to get the pool cleared up a bit before adding the stabilizer to bring the cya up? I've added 8.25% bleach to get the FC up to 12ppm trying to get a jump on the SLAM.

18'x48" Intex AG around 7,600 gal, Intex 3,000gph sand filter pump, Hayward thru wall skimmer, TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: The green monster....

Add enough stabilizer to get too about 30ppm and then SLAM away. Make sure you lower the pH before raising the FC.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Cool, is the liquid or powder stabilizer better? pH was at 7.5 is that sufficient?

18'x48" Intex AG around 7,600 gal, Intex 3,000gph sand filter pump, Hayward thru wall skimmer, TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

You may want to look at this thread and check that you don't have an ammonia issue:

Dealing with Ammonia

5. Back To Top    #5

Granular stabilizer is fine. More here on adding CYA and chems, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

7.2 is the preferred PH for a SLAM. More here, SLAM
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Done, my FC loss was only 4ppm over a 2 hour period, so I'm taking that as less than a 50% loss in a 10 minute period? So bring the cya up to 30ppm?

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by joshm1970 View Post
    Done, my FC loss was only 4ppm over a 2 hour period, so I'm taking that as less than a 50% loss in a 10 minute period? So bring the cya up to 30ppm?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    Yes.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Yup! Thank goodness!

- - - Updated - - -

From now on, check your CYA during the day and only in bright sunlight.

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok, got the liquid stabilizer. Is there a certain FC level to be at to bring the cya up?

10. Back To Top    #10

You have it backward.
    Set the CYA level and then use that to determine the FC level required according to the FC/CYA Chart
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    You have it backward.
    Set the CYA level and then use that to determine the FC level required according to the FC/CYA Chart
    I've seen that and know the system, but I've had the FC level raised to 12 since last night when there was no cya present to get a head start on the SLAM. I'll add the stabilizer to get my cya up to 30 or so. My question was can I add the stabilizer to get the cya up, no matter what the FC level is right now. Then adjust the FC according to the cya level after testing.

12. Back To Top    #12

Yes, the FC level does not impact the ability to add CYA.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Yes, the FC level does not impact the ability to add CYA.
    Thanks, all this is so new to me! Lol!
    Going from chlorine tablets and shock powder and whatever else you can buy at Walmart. I truly appreciate all the help, and my pool has gone from nasty green yesterday to off great/blue today! I have a feeling I'm on my way to clear water!!

14. Back To Top    #14

Also, how long after adding the liquid stabilizer should I test the cya? Just pour it around the edge of the pool?

15. Back To Top    #15

Likely the liquid stabilizer should show up on the test as soon as it has circulated (a few hours). But just use PoolMath to calculate how much you need to add for a given target and assume you are at that right away.

Recommended Pool Chemicals should explain how to add everything (I think liquid stabilizer is covered there). Should be able to just pour it in front of a return jet to help it mix.
    Jason, TFP Moderator