Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: No FC or CYA eveb with SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

No FC or CYA eveb with SWG

Hi, im new to the pool world and im having a hard time getting a FC and CYA reading. Last night i added 25oz of stabilizer in a stocking over my return. 9 oz of pH down bc my pH was 7.8 an 128 oz of 10% liquid chlorine. Tested it tonight and my readings were:
    FC-0
    pH-7.5
    TA-80
    CH-200
    CYA-0
    My question is even with my SWG why is my FC and CYA not showing? What should i do?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: No FC or CYA eveb with SWG

Welcome to TFP!

What was your cya target?

With little CYA in the water, the FC will all be lost to the sun during the day. And since there is no FC in the water, algae could be stated too.

What test kit are you using?
    Please fill out your signature.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

More here on what to put in your signature and how to do it, Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

Adding your state to your location will also be handy so we know what your climate is and can better help you.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Sorry. It will not let me do signature on my phone. And no acess to a computer right now.
    CYA target is 5. Test kit is the HTH 6-way test strip. Which test for FC pH TA CH CYA.
    Im in the state of Louisiana.
    18x48 6423gals, AG vinyl, intex SWG/sand CS20110, built 4/16

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by HopeM31 View Post
    ... Test kit is the HTH 6-way test strip. Which test for FC pH TA CH CYA.
    Im in the state of Louisiana.
    18x48 6423gals, AG vinyl, intex SWG/sand CS20110, built 4/16
    It helps if you put that info in your signature next time you get to your computer so you don't have to repeat and ppl here- ask.

First and foremost I'd buy one of test kits recommended here (TF-100 / K2006) as I'm afraid you're not measuring anything with those strips. The recommended kits behave predictably and even refill reagents produce the same results as the original ones. I know, they're supposed to if they're of 'test grade' but somehow pool stores manage to differ in water analysis results of the same sample by hundreds of %.
    44k plaster pool, Pentair 011018 pump, DE6020 filter, LED lights, K2006 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

You are moving in the right direction.

Keep adding Chlorine, until your SWG can keep up. Also keep track of how much CYA you add. Your target should be 70-80 ppm, not the lower amount recommended by Intex.

A good test kit helps lots.

oops how long do you run your SWG? I run mine 6 hours a day, less in the spring and the fall.
    Lou - 13.5K Gal pool, AG Intex 24 X 52"
    19" Sand Filter/1 hp pump, Aqua Trol SWG
    90 sq ft Homemade Solar panels + 80 sq ft Fafco panels, coupled with a SS heat exchanger/Hot Water Tank, Pentair SolarTouch, Taylor k-2006

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by HopeM31 View Post
    Sorry. It will not let me do signature on my phone.
    From your phone, instead of using the Tapatalk app use the phone's Internet browser to access the site. Scroll to the bottom and choose "Full Site", scroll back to the top and sign in, then click "Settings" to set up your signature.
    Gene
    ​12,300 gal IG play pool - Pebbletec - built 10/1999 || Hayward S360SX 36" sand filter || Hayward Ecostar SP3400 VSP || A&A In-Floor cleaning system || Quik Water Leveler || Quik Dek-clor (limited use)
    TF-100 testkit / Speedstir - A good test kit is not an expense, it's an investment