Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TA at 230! How do I lower it???

1. Back To Top    #1

TA at 230! How do I lower it???

Hi! This is our second year using the TFP method. We have a round Coleman vinyl pool that I believe is 16 feet wide. I know that it holds 5,140 gallons of water. I got my new test kit and my levels were as follows:
    FC- 1.5 ( SWG and ran for a longer cycle tonight as we had a breaker blow mid day today)
    CC- .5
    TA- 230! I've never had that high of a reading?!
    PH- 7.8
    TC- 1
    CYA- 60 (added cya approx. 3 or 4 days ago)

What do I do about my TA?! Pool cal says to lower ph with MA and aerate the pool, but I don't know exactly what the means??
    TIA!

Coleman 16'x48" AGP, Pump is what came with the pool 1,000 gallon pump I believe with Cartridge, SWG Intex brand Krystal Clear
    First Year Pool Owners

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TA at 230! How do I lower it???

TA is very low priority, in fact you could nearly ignore it. Just keep the pH in range and the TA will slowly drop and stabilize.

You should be more worried about your FC being too low.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Okay thank you! I'll add some bleach tomorrow if the longer run cycle doesn't take care of it! I can now go to bed and stop working about the dang pool hahhaa! Thanks again!

Coleman 16'x48" AGP, Pump is what came with the pool 1,000 gallon pump I believe with Cartridge, SWG Intex brand Krystal Clear
    First Year Pool Owners

4. Back To Top    #4

Did you wipe the bottle tip on a damp cloth between drops? If not that can cause a false high reading on TA. Check the extended directions here for more details, Pool School - Extended Test Kit Directions
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

I did yes. I will retest this weekend just to see, but I'm much less worried about it now!

First Year Pool Owners

6. Back To Top    #6

Why does that make a difference? I have had a TA reading of 120-130 recently and I am in the process of lowering it to 90 or so.

I am referring to the wiping of the bottle for clarification.
    10,000 gallon, inground, pebblesheen, sand filter, TF-100 testing kit, Pentair Rebel

7. Back To Top    #7

There is a static build up in the very fresh reagent in the TF-100. It goes away after a few tests. Just be sure you have good normal drops.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!