Do I have mustard algae?

Jun 20, 2016
Ada, Mi
Biofilm at water line of hot tub

image.jpg
Day 4 of slam. Do you think this is algae in biofilm or copper? Had pink slime 3 years in a row. Never fully treated it. Only see this when hot tub "running". during the day I run the pool 1/2 the day; the hot tub the other half; then just the hot tub all night.
FC 16.5 on waking up
cc in hot tub 1
cc pool .5
CYA 50
TA 130
CA 200
PH 7.8

Re: Biofilm at water line of hot tub

That is not copper. It is some sort of organic goo. Have you used some Ahh-some for jetted tubs? That will work better.

If you can isolate the spa from the pool, then you can do the ahh-some treatment on just the spa. You don't want to use it on the entire pool as it's a product designed to be used on spa water, then drained. However, you want to drain out that treated water from the spa, not into the pool as you'll have foaming in the pool for quite a while if you do that. If you have no way of draining the spa other than into the pool, then I would rent a submersible pump or buy a cheap one at a discount hardware store like harbor freight, etc.

So; I have the ahh-some. My hot tub is attached to pool. So I close my valves to pool and open to hot tub and add the product and let run thru my filters and heater and back to hot tub for 30 mins? Then drain my hot tub, refill, and start the system back up?

Pretty much. Rinse very well after draining. Don't want too much of the product getting into the pool. Won't really hurt the pool but you'll have foaming, bubbles for a while.

Sent from mobile device. Beware of brevity and spelling errors!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Been slamming since July 5th. I have a couple yellow stains on my wall that will not brush off. I'm thinking yellow algae can be brushed off? My hot tub when running would get a slimy yellow substance on bubbles that looked like pollen. Also a green slimy goo at water line. These problems are gone now☺️ If I have yellow algae I need to know so I can continue slam at higher levels.thoughts? FYI: I've gone thru 16 cases of shock

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 86
Ok; so the yellow stain is probably just a stain? Another reason I asked about mustard algae is because I get little piles of sand on the floor if my pool. I rubbed it between my fingers and its grainy. How would I get this in my pool? I also notice this when I clean my filter housing. There is a small round area at the bottom where debris can collect. I swear it's sand in there??

Yes, turn off the breaker, remove the light and clean the back of the light and inside the niche with a brush.

Did you read the mustard algae article? First complete the SLAM and then raise FC to mustard level after the SLAM is complete.

I had a little sand in my pool from some ants digging around under the skimmer. A little Home Defense fixed it.

To check the stain rub a trichlor pucks on it for a few minutes to see if it lightens the syain. If it does then it is organic and elevated chlorine and brushing should lighten the stain over time.

If not then rub a Vit C tablet on the stain for a few minutes to a few hours. If it lightens the stain then it is a metal stain, Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains

Thank you. I cleaned out the light housing and they were indeed filled with algae. So I'm still working on the slam. Last 2 nights lost 2.5 FC. Have passed the other 2 tests days ago. You said not to raise to mustard levels until slam is complete so I'm assuming I can pass the OCLT with mustard present. I will do the rub test. Vitamin C supplement tablets I'm assuming? Then if it's metal no need for mustard slam. Thank you for your help!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.