...the next steps - making sure this is correct

I do have a multiport on the Hayward S180T and have not been changing the multiport when vacuuming, I keep that set to filter and backwash once pressure is 18-20 PSI. After backwash, I rinse for 30-60 seconds and set back to filter. What is the sock technique?

What is the sock technique?

I have socks in my skimmers as they pick up all the debris, etc. Also have 2 extra sets of basket/sock combinations for a quick exchange. Every few weeks, I clean everything up. The socks cost $5 with shipping and I go through about 2 sets. Probability is that I save that in chlorine consumption because the pollen gets trapped and discarded almost daily during the season. If you can install a sock in the skimmer, that would be great.

This way, most of the junk never reaches the filter, therefore never able to come back to the pool. Not familiar with AGP and if you have a skimmer, etc. Thanks!

Dom:

Nice socks! I like them and will order them. Do these trap very fine dirt and sand?
The only thing that gets by them is very, very fine silt. Common debris, dirt, sand, pollen etc get caught easily.

If you find that the debris in your pool is fine enough to pass through, they are cheap enough to double up, but I have yet to do that.

Dom

A couple of other possibilities to try include letting the filter get dirty, i.e. don't backwash until pressure is 25% above the clean pressure (the pressure after backwashing). Sand filters work best after they get a bit dirty.

Another option is to add a small amount of pool filter diatomaceous earth (DE) to the sand filter. It has to be pool DE and not the garden or food varieties. It should be done on a day when you can keep an eye on the filter pressure. After you've followed the procedure a couple of times, you'll know the amount of DE to add and it becomes an easy routine: Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter

Vacuum to waste is used to get rid of dirt without sending it to the filter when water loss is not an issue, or if you needed to drain some water for some other reason. There's not a recommended schedule or anything.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My previous pool was exactly like yours.....with decking around 3/4 of the rail. And the rail stuck up just a bit but the sides were tight to the deck. I had a HECK of a time getting the winter cover on every year - and getting the cable under the top rail to hold the cover on. I'm not sure if anyone else on here has suggestions for that but I never solved it. Bloody knuckles every year (my decking was concrete).

If this is a gated off pool, perhaps you can use sand / water bags to hold down the cover. It's not ideal but should work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.