New pool: Free chlorine high total chlorine low

Hey all,

I recently bought a new pool. the description is in my signature. I added all the chemicals I needed I think;except I added no stabilizer. I'm currently using test strips and I think that may be the issue for me.

Every time I check the levels the FC is at around 5 ppm but the TC is low (equal or lower to 1 ppm). I find this mind boggling as everything I read seams to indicate that the two should be related; I mean at least if the free chlorine is high that should make the total high too, Right?

Another issue is I've had to add PH raiser twice within the last week. Maybe acid rain?

I used the test strips for the two weeks between buying my new house with pool and the time my Taylor K-2006 test kit arrived. Based on the test strips and the iPhone app to read them, I thought my pH was 6.2 to 6.0. Boy was that wrong, when I tested with my new test kit I found that my pH was actually 8.0 (or higher, that is the top of the pH scale.)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.