Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool: Free chlorine high total chlorine low

1. Back To Top    #1

Unhappy New pool: Free chlorine high total chlorine low

Hey all,

I recently bought a new pool. the description is in my signature. I added all the chemicals I needed I think;except I added no stabilizer. I'm currently using test strips and I think that may be the issue for me.

Every time I check the levels the FC is at around 5 ppm but the TC is low (equal or lower to 1 ppm). I find this mind boggling as everything I read seams to indicate that the two should be related; I mean at least if the free chlorine is high that should make the total high too, Right?

Another issue is I've had to add PH raiser twice within the last week. Maybe acid rain?
    15'X 48" A.G. INTEX EASY SET POOL. 3,782 GAL. KRYSTAL CLEAR MODEL 637R CARTRIDGE FILTER (29900)
    POOL FILLED WITH CITY WATER.
    HERE IS AN IMAGE OF THE POOL: http://c.shld.net/rpx/i/s/i/spin/10011674/prod_1457231112?hei=2000&wid=2000&op_sharpen=1

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: New pool: Free chlorine high total chlorine low

Welcome to TFP

And your question illustrates why we don't trust test strips.......at all. We advocate testing your own water with a proper test kit. Take a look at these links and post questions if you have them.

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    Pool School - Test Kits Compared
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

3. Back To Top    #3

I used the test strips for the two weeks between buying my new house with pool and the time my Taylor K-2006 test kit arrived. Based on the test strips and the iPhone app to read them, I thought my pH was 6.2 to 6.0. Boy was that wrong, when I tested with my new test kit I found that my pH was actually 8.0 (or higher, that is the top of the pH scale.)
    24,200 gal., IG vinyl, 18' x 36' rectangular, average depth 5'. K-2006C
    Jandy SFTM22 sand filter, 1 HP Hayward Super Pump, Doheny's Discovery Robot.
    One skimmer, one main drain, two eyeball jets, and one return from the booster pump.
    One wife of 26 years (schoolteacher, first grade), four kids (ages 14,16,17, and 19).
    I work night shift (Pediatric RN) so most of my posts will be during the night.

4. Back To Top    #4

Right! Test strips are best read upside down in a trash can.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Right! Test strips are best read upside down in a trash can.
    That's where mine are now. Well today was garbage pickup day, so they are probably on the way to a landfill now.
    24,200 gal., IG vinyl, 18' x 36' rectangular, average depth 5'. K-2006C
    Jandy SFTM22 sand filter, 1 HP Hayward Super Pump, Doheny's Discovery Robot.
    One skimmer, one main drain, two eyeball jets, and one return from the booster pump.
    One wife of 26 years (schoolteacher, first grade), four kids (ages 14,16,17, and 19).
    I work night shift (Pediatric RN) so most of my posts will be during the night.

6. Back To Top    #6

thank you all for the helpful comments. and the light hearted commentary as well. hahahaha
    15'X 48" A.G. INTEX EASY SET POOL. 3,782 GAL. KRYSTAL CLEAR MODEL 637R CARTRIDGE FILTER (29900)
    POOL FILLED WITH CITY WATER.
    HERE IS AN IMAGE OF THE POOL: http://c.shld.net/rpx/i/s/i/spin/10011674/prod_1457231112?hei=2000&wid=2000&op_sharpen=1

7. Back To Top    #7

Now that you have your awesome kit, need any further help?