Setting up for first pool has been a nightmare!

Jul 14, 2016
UK
So we decide to get an above ground pool something we have been wanting to do for a few years now. We picked out a 12' X 48" bestway steel framed one. We levelled out all the ground by moving the dirt form the higher point to the lower point (which we know now isn't the best way to do this) we then covered it with a layer of sand and set the pool up, we put patio slabs that are about an 1.5" tall under each leg but we couldn't get them all completely straight which was the first issue. We then started to fill the pool up only to are disappointment to find it is unlevel by about 3 inches. So we are now taking the pool back down to level out the ground again, after 3 weeks of work to get everything ready this is a huge disappointment but we know the importance of getting it level. Now the problem is my brother (who's garden it's in) wants to level out with sand (seeing as tho it's cheap and we have already spent lots of money on setting everything up) now I know that this isn't a very good idea as it moves under the pool and the pool could sink into it. We can't really dig down the higher end either because the grounds to hard and compact...so we are at a bit of a dead end on how to level it out now.

HI Kitkat! This is Kimkat LOL

If you water the ground it will make it easier to dig out and level out.

In essence you have already tried your brother's way "moving dirt from the higher point to the lower point" and it did not work out so good.

You REALLY need to take the high ground down to raw dirt instead of adding sand/dirt to the low spots. The "new" dirt will be loose and will settle/compact down. When that happens (notice I did not say if) you will be right back where you started again :(

I am sorry. I wish I had better news for you. Do a search in the search box at the top of this page for leveling ground. That will give you some ideas on how best to do it.

Kim:cat:

+1 to what Kim said pools are simply too heavy to put on loose uncompacted fill. A water level is a cheap simple device you can build to help get you perfectly level before you put the pool back up. Unless you have acess to a laser level but those are anything but cheap.

Do it right or it the structural integrity of the pool will fail you.

I started last year digging a high side and building up a low side. It was a PITA. I rented a plate compactor and ran it for literally days on two occasions- once Iast year, and again shortly before I put the pool up this year. I probably had 10 torrential rains in that time as well that helped settle the dirt. I dug my pavers in and also put crushed rock under the pavers. I spent a TON of my time and labor making sure the area was as solid as I could make it. I have only had my pool up for going on two weeks now, but I have had several rains that flooded the area around the pool and the pavers are not sinking.

I think if I had it to do again, I would spend the money and have a crew put down a nice level concrete pad to erect the pool on.

Here's what's involved to halfway 'do it right' working by yourself.
I rented the compactor twice @ ~$200, buying the pavers, buying gravel, buying a 2X6X16 to drag around in a circle, buying 4' level, torpedo level, stuff to make a water level, buying $240 worth of foam sheets to put under pool, $55 worth of extra wide gorilla tape for the foam, trips to home center buying, hauling and loading/unloading all that stuff.
THEN considering my time for literally weeks on end whenever I could shoveling, levelling, plumbing the pavers, trial setting up the top rail of pool several times and disassembling again to locate pavers, taping the foam together with 3 strips per joint, cutting the foam round.

All that stuff was done over a period of time, but the net cost is not too far away from what a concrete pad cost. I learned a LOT during the process and I added several skills and tools to my arsenal though.

If you want to swim 'now', have a pad put down. If you have time, and are motivated to do it the hard way that is fine too, but you will put in a lot of labor before you can put the pool up. There arent too many corners you can cut in that process and end up with good results.

Just my two cents.

I don't know what kind of soil you have there. I have clay. I leveled for my pool last month by lowering the high side and building up the low side. I ran a plate compactor and my brother ran the tractor - he's better at it than I am. We wet the dirt and compacted in 3" lifts. between the plate compactor and the tractor driving all over it, the clay was pretty solid. A week of rain nearly every day settled it further until I put the pool up.

I would not use sand for leveling. If you want to do it yourself I would rent a plate compactor and if you don't have a friend with a tractor, you can rent a small walk behind tracked vehicle with a bucket on the front. Move the dirt from the high to the low side, compacting at least every 3". Wet the dirt down as you go. A water level will help keep things level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.