Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Total newbie trying to find what's best in north texas

1. Back To Top    #1

Total newbie trying to find what's best in north texas

Hi guys!! So I've been lurking on this site for a few days trying to soak up as much information as possible. I am in north Texas (Frisco to be exact)

I am leaning towards a fiberglass pool, but most I see in the area are gunit (did I spell that right?). I'm just wondering if there are any downsides to fiberglass aside from the lack of customization??

I do have consultations scheduled with riverbend and hauk for a gunit pool, and aquamarine pools already gave me pricing on the fiberglass. Just curious to hear your thoughts.

Also, thanks for letting me be a part of this pool community. It's already been so helpful!

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Total newbie trying to find what's best in north texas

Welcome to TFP

the #1 problem with fiberglass pools is the install, if it is not done correctly it can be a nightmare that never ends... they can be great pools but when the install goes south it's a bad life..
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Fiberglass seems to be getting more rare these days.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

We're not far from you, up in Prosper! We talked to about 15 companies when we decided to build, and none of them even offered fiberglass...Gunite seems to be what everyone around here builds. Good Luck to you!
    ~Rene
    17/28 geometric, 7x7 raised spa, Tahoe Blue Quartzscapes, 1200 sq ft paver deck (Belgard/Urbana Stone/Danville Beige), Sheer Descent 24", Jandy E Pump 2.0 HP Var Speed, Jdy Heater 400 BTU JXI Natural Gas, Jandy 460 Cartridge Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Yeah, this is how I feel. Everything I see around here is gunit, but according to the Internet it seems like fiberglass would be better so it just makes me wonder why more people don't go that route.

The point about the instal makes sense. But I feel like if we can find a reputable installer then maybe that's the way to go. Still unsure but have two consults tomorrow and one next week so we'll be getting some ideas nailed down

6. Back To Top    #6

If you find a reputable installer, someone who is familiar with your soil conditions and has a proven track record, a fiberglass install should go fine for you. We like ours very much. We chose FB as opposed to plaster because of cost/value for our money and the shifting clay soil in our area which tends to be unstable between heavy rains and drought. As long as the installer prepares the proper base according to your pool manufacture's instructions and backfills it properly, it should be fine. Caring for the shell is quite easy, and of course following TFP chemistry is still a must. Good luck.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks!

8. Back To Top    #8

Natalieewall, did you end up going with Fiberglass or Gunite (or nothing at all hahaha)? Just curious, we are researching Fiberglass in the East Houston area and have read a lot of articles touting the advantages of Fiberglass over Gunite...Fiberglass owners seem to have nothing but great things to say (if it is installed correctly that is!)! Just curious what ya'll decided to go with.
    Thanks in advance!