New Carport awning installed

kywildcats

Bronze Supporter
Jul 23, 2015
Mayfield, KY
Our pool is direct sun from early morning to late evening, NO shade what so ever. We have tables with umbrellas but they just can't keep everybody out of the blazing sun. I had a 22x10 portable carport installed next to our garage a couple weeks ago, and it is all metal. It has helped so much with some shade. My question after all that, is it safe as far as any stray electrical current. My complete pool is properly bonded. I just know thought about this today. the closet metal legs are about 5 feet from the pool surface.

Codes probably vary widely. In the city I live in its required to attach anything stationary that's metal to the pool bonding grid if it's within 5 feet of the pool edge.

My house is stucco with metal window frames. The metal weep screed/flashing at the bottom edge of the stucco and 2 windows within 6 feet of the edge along with the metal pool fence (which is more than 10 feet away from the edge) are bonded to the bonding grid.

You may wish to check with your local building department.

I live in the country and no code is in affect. I've got a call in to the electrician who did the electric, but have not heard back as of yet. My electrician did insist on the county inspector to pass the bonding, but it wasn't required.

The National Electric Code (2014) specifically addresses this....

Link to PDF by Mike Holt.....

NEC Article 680.26(B)(7) Fixed Metal Parts.

All fixed metal parts must be bonded to the
equipotential grid, including but not limited to, metal-sheathed cables
and raceways, metal piping, metal awnings, metal fences, and metal
door and window frames.

The only exceptions to this are:
Ex 1: If separated from the pool structure by a permanent barrier that
prevents contact by a person.
Ex 2: If located more than 5 ft horizontally from the inside walls of the
pool structure.
Ex 3: If located more than 12 ft measured vertically above the maxi-
mum water level.

My thought is if it is 5 feet or less horizontally from the inside edge of the pool structure (don't forget to deduct for any overhanging coping - so, from where the pool water touches the inside of the pool shell) the NEC requires bonding - except as noted in exceptions 1 and 3 above.

If in doubt - better safe than sorry.

Thanks Gene! Looks like I should do this. I thought bonding had to be done in a complete loop, so how would I do this. The backside of structure is only about 3 feet from the electrical panel and pad with all pool equipment, so it would be easy to run a copper wire to the structure, but would that be proper bonding??

You can use a split bolt connector to connect to the bare copper bond loop anywhere you can find easy access to it and run a length of #8 bare copper wire to a the nearest part of the metal car port frame and connect it there with bonding clamp or bolted on wire lug. That's all it will take. I will take probably take you longer to go to the store and get the material than do the job.

I'm not an expert in how to bond. But I believe CJ is correct.

I would think as long as the point you bond at has continuity to all places on the same structure that are 5 feet or less horizontally from the inside edge of the pool structure, you're good. But I definitely defer to those with more knowledge.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.