Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine levels not holding?! Frustrated!

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine levels not holding?! Frustrated!

Hi everyone,

I'm new to posting on this forum, but at this point, I feel like I have to try everything. So we opened our pool late June (I know, pretty late). The pool was in pretty good shape when opened, we added the usual chemicals and now the pool is looking beautiful. It is crystal clear, there is no little to no chlorine odor, it looks great. That is, until you see the test results...

Hardness - 250
    TC - 0
    FC - 0
    pH - 6.8
    Alkalinity - 120
    Stabilizer - 50

We added about 30 pounds of shock into the pool, twice having added 8 bags(lbs) at once. The most recent being last night. This morning I tested the water and the chlorine level was at 1. And now, at around 5:30 pm, it is back down to 0 again. I added in algaecide recently, about 2/3 of a quart, and nothing seems to be improving chlorine-wise.

Any help will be much appreciated.
    21,000 gallon fiber glass shell, 1 hp Centurion motor powering an unknown Hayward sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine levels not holding?! Frustrated!

Hey there Dm_r13, welcome to TFP! You said you added "the usual chemicals"....what are those?

First- how are you testing your water? Which test kit? There are only two that we trust for accuracy and that contain the all important FAS-DPD test for chlorine. The TF-100 or the Taylor K-2006 both available from TFTestkits.net or on Amazon.

You didn't list your CCs which would be important to know to determine contaminates. Something must be eating that chlorine up, and you can have algae and contaminates that don't show up immediately in the water yet do in the testing.
    Please give us the following from an accurate test kit-
    FC
    CC
    pH
    TA
    CH
    CYA
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

I've been pretty limited to clorox test strips for the time being, as I am about to go on vacation. The usual chemicals would be algaecide, shock, and the trichlor tablets. I'll be sure to get that test kit ASAP.
    21,000 gallon fiber glass shell, 1 hp Centurion motor powering an unknown Hayward sand filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by dm_r13 View Post
    I've been pretty limited to clorox test strips for the time being, as I am about to go on vacation. The usual chemicals would be algaecide, shock, and the trichlor tablets. I'll be sure to get that test kit ASAP.
    Welcome to the Forum. As YippeeSkippy mentioned previously, accurate testing is essential. 30 Lbs. of shock is some serious chlorine. Unless you have ammonia in your water and/or high CC, something is off, which is possibly your testing with the test strips.

The first step is accurate testing. From this point, we can guide you to making your that your pool is taken care of properly.
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Hayward CL2002 Chlorinator - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Hayward AQR9 SWG 25K Salt Cell & TF-100 Test Kit + Speed Stir
    Gulfstream HE125RA - 117K BTU Heat Pump - Date of Build is 11-2013