Travertine Decking Snafu & Question

azdesertpool

Gold Supporter
Sep 11, 2015
Tucson, Arizona
We contracted with a sub to install "4 Piece French Design Scabos Travertine" decking. Install happened last week while we were out of town. There are a number of issues that I am going to meet with the sub about, but there is one issue I am hoping to hear your collective wisdom on: instead of installing the travertine in a repeating French pattern, the installer placed pavers randomly, so there is no pattern whatsoever. I am weighing how much this bothers me, but my question is beyond aesthetics, what are some practical reasons to insist on a "French" or Verseille pattern over just random placement of pavers? There are some spots where there are continuous grout/joint lines that would be eliminated if the sub had followed a French pattern, and I think that goes beyond aesthetics. Others? Thanks in advance...

Sorry to hear your situation is all fouled up. :(

There's no structural or practical reason why grout lines should either line up or not line up.

If there are separate concrete structures under the stone, you need to align the pavers to the joint, and usually allow for contraction or movement with options other than grout. Other than that, paver patterns are pretty much just aesthetics.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.