Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Aeration and pH rise

1. Back To Top    #1

Aeration and pH rise

My pool was finished in March 2016. I'm still dealing with constantly rising pH and adding MA about every other day which I know is fairly normal for new plaster. I've read here that aeration can cause the pH to rise as well and am wondering if I should maybe adjust my returns so as to get less water ripple on the surface? I do like the way it looks but if it's causing issues I can angle the returns down more. I thought though that I needed that water movement so the skimmer would get everything.
    Pool completed 3/21/2016
    8800 gallons, plaster 14' x 24', 3/4 hp Hayward pump, Hayward cartridge filter, Blue Essence T-5 SWG, Kreepy Krauly Kruiser, Taylor K-2006 test kit with Speedstir, Taylor K-1766 salt test and 250 sq. ft. of Heliocol solar panels with Pentair Solartouch control system

2. Back To Top    #2

Aeration and pH rise

It probably won't make much difference. Your returns are there to provide an appropriate flow pattern, not for aeration. The increased aeration due to pointing them upwards is negligible at best. The aeration that would be concerning would be things like spa spillways, waterfalls, sheer descents, bubblers, etc. Those things move a lot more water volume and usually create a lot of bubbling.

If your flow pattern is good, then don't mess with it.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Aeration and pH rise

Awesome! Thanks.

Pool completed 3/21/2016
    8800 gallons, plaster 14' x 24', 3/4 hp Hayward pump, Hayward cartridge filter, Blue Essence T-5 SWG, Kreepy Krauly Kruiser, Taylor K-2006 test kit with Speedstir, Taylor K-1766 salt test and 250 sq. ft. of Heliocol solar panels with Pentair Solartouch control system