Confusion as to why my chlorine level is not increasing

Tex599

Mar 10, 2016
Fort Worth tx
New pool and still trying to get the hang of the chemical balance. Results based on Taylor k2006 test kit, taken this morning:

FC 1.5ppm
CC 0
PH 7.8
TA 225
CYA 60
CH 40

Based on the CYA/Chlorine Chart my target FC shoudl be 7ppm, using using pool math it suggested I add 121oz of 10% Pool Chlorine (bleach). Just went ahead and added a full gallon around 10am this morning and just checked results are FC 3.5ppm and CC 0. I was expecting it to be higher and know that this is not an exact science, but is it possible to have burned off that much chlorine 4 hours? Is my pool volume off, using the calculator below pool math?

It seems like I am burning off around 2-3ppm chlorine everyday and my CYA, went from 40 to 60 in one day and not sure why on that either (could of been me, that test is hard to read).

Thanks,

Scott

When did you add the CYA since you just started with your pool? It can take up to a week to fully register depending on the circumstances - so if you added it recently that could be the reason for the increase - otherwise it's just user error while reading the test. Nothing else will cause CYA to rise. Also, chlorine is a consumable, it will never "hold" throughout a day. A normal pool uses 2-4 ppm per day.

If you had purchased the TF-100 test kit, you would have received a reagent that shows you exactly what 50 ppm of CYA looks like. This is one reason why the TF-100 is the best value, that and having bigger sizes of the reagents you will use the most.

The variability in reading them is the same, just that with the R-7065 CYA Standard Solution from tftestkits.net, you can see what 50 looks like. This can be ordered separately but I'd order it along with the chlorine test drops/powder, pH red, and additional CYA liquid since those run out first.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.