Preparing for Baqua Conversion

Jul 5, 2016
Vinton, VA
Okay do I have some issues. I bought the proseries pool on clearance at sam's last year and we put in up this year. I begged for chlorine and my husband insisted on baquacil. Of course now he wants to change five weeks into the pool, but our pump broke. Of course proseries won't give us a new pump because it was bought last year. Their cheapo pump is $200 and a sand filter ones seems like a better fit although I believe you have to cut the lining to hook up these pumps. Does anyone who has done this, have any suggestions? Plus, I still need to convert. We thought the pump's problem was the capacitor, but it turns out that wasn't it. We had to have one shipped and it arrived while we were on vacation. Now it has stood for two weeks without any filter. Any suggestions would be great. I, of course, now wish we hadn't gotten the pool. I feel like it has turned into my own personal money pit when I should be thinking it was the best thing I did all summer.

Re: I am in trouble

Well, that is a bit of a stinker situation. To effectively perform a Baqua conversion, you'll want to follow the TFP Pool School - Convert Your Baqua Pool to Chlorine page. But to do that, you most certainly need an operational pump for good circulation. You might want to upload a pic of your set-up so we can see where your pump and stuff are placed. With that perhaps we can give you some suggestions.

Kellay, What about just dumping and starting all over with new water? It might be easier and it will be faster. Of course you CAN covert it using the TFP way but you would lose some swim time. I have NO idea what the cost of water is in your area so.........

Kim:cat:

Thank you. It cost about $125 in water. I am still on vacation and when I get home, will post a pic of the pump. That will be Monday or Tuesday. If I dump the water, do I scrub everything with bleach first before filling back up. How will I know I got everything well before I add the chlorine? I really am beyond frustrated at this point. I would like to get this right without too much added cost. I know I would have to buy bleach and change the sand out if I don't dump the water and waste more time. Anyway, dumping the water may be best.

You will need bleach regardless.

The most important thing right now is to get a proper test kit if you do not already have one.

We recommend the TF-100 or Taylor K2006. The TF-100 is the better value (they both use the same Taylor reagents).

TFTestkits.net

Have you read through Pool School at all? Do you understand that there is an important relationship between CYA (stabilizer) & your FC levels?

Dom

I have read through pool school and have bought a test that you all have recommended. I can't remember which one it was however since the pump broke before it came in. We haven't used it yet. If I dump the water, do I spray the sides and pool down with straight bleach or diluted? Then do I just used the pool brush or do I need to be meticulous and scrub it by hand. I know I have to scrub the ladder by hand.

Glad to hear you have one of the correct test kits. Yes, you'll want to brush the pool thoroughly with a water/bleach mixture - probably about 4/1 ratio. Once you get the pool shell clean, you'll want to change the filter cartridge(s). That's going to be necessary as well. Manually clean the inside of the filter housing as best as you can as well.

Once the pool is clean and cartridge(s) replaced, you'll be ready to fill the pool. There may still be some residual baqua lodged in the plumbing, so we'll probably have you maintain a straight FC SLAM level of 15 with no CYA at first to ensure you pass the OCLT (which hopefully you will), before adding stabilizer. But take care of the pool and filter first and let us know if you have any more questions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.